Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2016
Excellent book
on 30 August 2009
This book was slow, boring and obvious - why would a Vampire need a weapon? Also, the hero knows about the Vampire legend, but it takes him several chapters to catch on. Unless the historic part is of interest to you, I wouldn't recommend this book. I have never been moved to write a review before (good or bad), but I feel so strongly about this book - I hope this review saves others from wasting their money.
on 6 June 2010
I'm in a vampire phase at the moment and thought this might fit the bill (it had a potentially rich historical context and the reviews on Amazon were mainly good). It didn't. It plods through a predictable plot with unremarkable characters. There is the odd glaring continuity error - why does the hero flee from the vampires in snow and then hide behind a hedge confident he will not be found? I skimmed the last 200 pages.

I think a basic problem is that either vampires need humanity or there needs to be an exceptional central character - I felt this had neither.
on 14 April 2009
Fantastic read and if is the authors first offering I eagerly await more. the characters are all very deep and the book is written in a way that you can almost smell and taste the atmosphere. At times it is extremely gripping and you will not put it down just so you can find out what happens next. My current favourite theme - Napoleonic wars and ???? (well let you find out that bit but the review title does provide a clue. It is well researched and an interesting take on two different subjects, I have now read the follow up and they too are excellent. If you like the Temeraire series by Naomi Novak you would probably like this, especially if you like something a bit darker. Would make a fantastic film.........if it is not ruined like too many books are, plus would be a far better and interesting subject than just remaking an older film/TV show.
on 1 June 2009
it may just be my taste in fiction at the moment, but i tend to like my vampires with a bit more bite! whilst the books "ok" its nothing more. i couldnt warm to the main character, found some of the prose a little disjointed and to be honest couldnt wait for it to end. that said i didnt admit defeat like i did with anne rices books.
it was very difficult to get a sense of the hopelessness of the times from the writing,and whilst i'm sure it's historically "accurate" i just felt that it missed a golden opertunity to really sink its teeth in!

if you like a proper well written tale , look up "i am legend"....just dont watch the will smith version first!
on 12 March 2009
I bought the book because I read about it in the SFX magazine and was not diassapointed. The story is gripping and would make for a great vampire movie. I saw the twist coming but that was rather rewarding. The charcters are humans with flaws which really helps caring for them. The setting is fresh. The only point of criticism is that the writer seems to be a bit inexperienced and does not follow through with everything that he hints at, such as the connection of the vampires to the christian beliefs. But the book is fun and I can recommend it for new readers as well as experienced readers who are in for a thrilling story.
on 7 February 2011
I'm afraid I can't comprehend the positive reviews for this novel. The central premise has promise: vampires involved in the Napoleonic Wars. Sharpe with fangs. Sadly, the execution is terribly dull: I've read take-away menus written with more stylistic panache than this. I gave up half way through - bored and apathetic regarding the ending. If you like your fiction written in a style somewhere between a Biology textbook and a children's novel, go straight ahead; if you prefer three-dimensional characters, vivid description and arresting narratives, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.
on 21 April 2009
Well worth the wait. A gripping, though predictable storyline. I will not give the plot away. I think the interest comes for the reader in the historical setting, Napoleon and the Grande Armee advancing on Moscow, the Russian Army in full retreat, all Good stuff for those interested. Well worth the money and well worth the time spent reading. I can see a movie somewhere on the horizon. May i be as bold to recommend Dan Simmons 'The Terror'as being in the same genre, also a full Five star rating.
on 26 April 2009
Wonderful debut novel that is an absolutely well researched, and of course, vampirish (fun!) novel. I read this book in 3 sittings, only tiredness from work ensured I could not read it in one! Would make an excellent film, and this has got to be up there with the likes of Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry; which although that book is more modern, and a bit more tongue in cheek, and totally dissimilar (a tad), both had me gripped, and I enjoyed them immensely!