Customer reviews

Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2001
'Gardens of the Moon' is excellent. Fast paced action, excellent world setting, description and Characters. Hurray, there's no Dwarves or Elfs in this one. Instead there's T'lan Imass, Jaghuts, Tiss Andii etc. Erikson does not dump loads of history and background information in big heaps, but just enough. Though I wish he had dumped more history and background info, (I never say this normally) but the background and history are so interesting that you want to know more. You should really buy this, and order 'Deadhouse Gates' while you read, so you can go straight onto that after you finish with GOTM.
on 11 December 2013
....and I thought that I must read another fantasy epic. I do believe I've made the right choice with this one of ten fantasy behemoth. Understand this, at times I was more than a little confused and left thinking "why they saying that? What does that mean" but there is a nice glossary/cast of characters. So you are helped a little. Despite my confusion, I couldn't help but be drawn into the world that has been created. I can't wait to read the next one which should be coming through my door any day now.
on 15 January 2010
This book and those that follow it are really the best fantasy fiction of the decade. I am well read within the fantasy genre and I had felt that the whole genre had started to become stale. Steven Erikson really brought in a fresh breeze and once you start reading these books, you then have to get every book that follows as this is addictive stuff.

If you are looking for something new to read, definitely try this book, but be warned as you will get hooked and will need to buy all ten books.
on 1 February 2003
Great book, unusual style of writing.
Many of the current writers look to simplify fantasy books with the usual hero, baddie, group of unbeliveably luckly and clever characters with the same old plot.
Steven has disregarded all this, at points you just don't know who's side you are on. the plot get's thicker with every chapter and at times you may struggle to follow what is going on, and who the current players are.
My advice is to read the book, then read it again. it has the unique ability to draw you into a world that indeed seems as confusing as our own, but with a structured and beleivable source of heroism and magic.
In conclusion.... can't wait to buy Deadhouse gates!
on 27 February 2011
The first in the extensive Malazan series. A gripping story which sets the scene for the remaining nine massive works (not to mention peripheral works by another author based on this core storyline). A must for anyone who enjoys heroic fantasy, with living and attractive characters. On a par with Feist, and Tolkien. I have read it twice, and having lost the paperback Gardens, bought the hardback, so I could read it again. It is still rewarding. Either that, or I am a fantasy nerd...
on 1 December 2013
I'm halfway through this book and it is so dull that I may not make it to the end. I appreciate it when a story is obscure; no sensible writer gives the game away at the beginning. This however appears to be obscure simply because the author cannot conceive of any other way of keeping his audience interested except to tell very garbled bits of story that make no real sense. It makes for an extremely boring tale. The story has failed to progress beyond one major battle and the characters are so poorly drawn that it's impossible to relate to any of them. There are more than a few books in the series and things may improve but they will have to do so without this reader. Truly dire.
on 8 December 2000
Being an avid reader, I often find myself bored with many of the books I pick up these days. However, this book was a true jem! Complex storyline, deep believable characters, a dark and passionate world, everything a reader could ever want in an epic story. True some readers with short attention spans might find this book too entangling. But for some of us looking for a huge and truely fantastic world, this is it!
on 31 October 2015
Condition was aspected, superb read. Hooked on the series now.
on 26 August 2012
It was a long time ago, around about 2000, that I first read this book. I have completed the series and I must say that the Malazan books are one of the best ever series ever written. They are not an easy read, the plots too complex and the story is still continuing. But this much is guaranteed, if you are a lover of good books and a story, never mind the genre, read it immerse yourself in this world and be lost.
on 9 October 2004
I have read many very good fantasy books, by a wide variety of authors, but this wipes the floor clean with all of them. Never in my life have I read something so deeply complex yet utterly brilliant. I don't think it will be possible to top it. Not for a LONG time anyway. Hugely detailed characters, intricate plot twists and superb battle scenes all contribute to make this book one the most stunning reads ever!