on 8 August 2017
I have read all of Pauls autobiographies but stangely i read this one last of all, i know he has received some adverse comments about the truth behind comments about his neighbours but i believe he wrote it as he remembered it which can sometimes differ from others even siblings i enjoyed it very much and it put to bed some of the missing bits from later books i would recommend them to everybody as his life certainly had colour and hardships following in the wake of his success and personal bereavements makes interesting reading not just as so many how i made it story with habitual name dropping ps i love his friend Vera
on 12 July 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this 'coming of age' book by Mr O'Grady. I could hear him 'narrating this story of his childhood. The youngest by far of three children, he grew up almost as the only child of loving parents and his mother's two sisters -Aunts Anne and Chris, who were all a huge part of young Paul's life. He had a happy and well-rounded childhood and as he reached his teens was confused by his mixed sexual feelings for both girls and boys. He had close friends of both sexes and the latter part of the book involves his exploring of the homosexual clubs of the time as well as his close relationship with a lady several years older and with whom he worked in the Courts. He had several jobs in the course of the book (his father wouldn'tlet him join the merchant navy, as he wanted) ending up as a court clerk. The book finished on a bit of a cliff-hanger so i'll be looking to read the next 'instalment'. The book was very well written and an easy read. I'd recommend it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2017
Bought this book a few years ago and decided to read it again as it's a good one to keep by the bed. Easy reading and you can dip in and out of it. You can almost hear Paul's speaking voice as you read.

Paints a lovely picture of the first 18 years of Paul's life and what it's like growing up as a scouse teen, who initially dabbles with girlfriends. I won't say any more.
on 18 August 2017
I just love Paul and always have, so I was sure I'd love his book just as much and I did but just to warn anyone easily offended there is a bit of bad language in there which I didn't expect really, so if you're very easily offended I'd advise you to stay away. Personally, I just flipped over it and it didn't stop me from ordering another of his - 'The Devil Rides Out'.
on 11 May 2015
O'Grady should be commended for having written a thoroughly entertaining well written autobiography. Usually these types of book by popular entertainers are pretty terrible pot boilers obviously ghost written--very much not the case here. Not as good imo as the second volume of his autobiography but still a thoroughly enjoyable read.
I have to say the only drawback for me is that I totally fail to understand the whole homosexual entertainer phenomenon-Danny La Rue I could never stand , and the current vast crop of them and their success puzzles me ( Graham Norton , Julian Clary, Alan Carr etc etc) . In spite of this I did n't let my elderly prejudice put me off and I thoroughly enjoyed the book,
on 13 June 2016
Loved this book so much! Mr O'Grady if your reading this then thank you for making me laugh especially with your reminiscence of "your mum taking grass" and the school boy "poops" I call hear this book being read by Paul himself, hilarious, touching and sad in places just like everyone's life but Paul seems to have an air of excitement about it more so than the "normal" person. What an amazing first 20 years of life. Now I'm off to find/read the next stage of your life............
on 21 January 2017
This book arrived in near perfect condition, actually in better condition that described by the seller. I would definitely buy from this seller again (in fact I already have!).

This is an enjoyable read - even more so if you know the places that Paul O'Grady writes about. I laughed so much when reading about his mum and aunties - recognizing such women from my own childhood.
on 29 May 2017
Pau! O'G - here in person! Packed with his wit, and just a few experiences from his varied life (more to come in other books) Paul bursts out from these pages in full flow! If you like him, you'll love this.
on 10 February 2011
I consider myself a keen reader, averaging about a book a week, and consider myself a reasonable judge having read in excess of a hundred autobiographies to date. I was pleasantly surprised by this first volume from Mr O'Grady; I thought it would be pretty good, that's why I bought it in the first place, but didn't expect it to be probably the best autobiography I've read so far. It is moving and very funny, laugh out loud funny, and paints a very vivid picture of what it was like to grow up in Merseyside during the sixties and seventies. It is also fascinating to see where the inspiration for Lily Savage came from, and the way and in which the characters are written really brings them to life. I eagerly await reading the next volume!
on 31 May 2015
Hi, I just want to say that the book, At My Mother's Knee, is just as light
hearted and funny as I expect from Paul. I have not finished it,
but I know I am going to love it as I am looking forward to going back to it when I have time. Paul is a lovely man, I love everthing he does
on Telly. He has a brilliant sense of humour and I find I am smiling most of the time when I'm reading. Good luck in everything you do
Paul. I think you cheer everyone up. Thanks for everything. Keep it up!.
Jane E Pearson.