Far Horizons
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2017
An excellent follow-up to the wonderfully moving Blood And Sand.

After reading Far Horizons, I almost feel as if I've travelled to the places Frank has written about.

One of those books I am sad to have finished, but will most certainly read more than once.
One person found this helpful
on 17 May 2011
When I started this book, I thought, "Max Hastings meets Bill Bryson", but Frank Gardner is not the "press baron" figure that Max Hastings is, although they do share similar public school and Territorial Army backgrounds and are intrepid journalists. As for Bill Bryson, Frank Gardner does not have his amusing light touch, but appears more cerebral, willing and able to learn foreign languages (and a fluent Arabic speaker).

Frank Gardner comes across as worthy, brave and determined, not least after his confinement to a wheelchair. He is non-judgemental too. The book takes us to various interesting destinations and describes them well. My only criticism is that it is a bit plodding and worthy and perhaps slightly indigestible.

Finally, I read the book during the present "Arab Spring": which made some of his 2009 observations, not least on Bahrein, particularly interesting.
One person found this helpful
on 5 December 2017
This fantastic journalist has such a wealth of experiences in his life, it can only add to his reporting skills. Not frightened of trying new things, he has found himself in a number of ‘dramatic’ situations that he has, in some cases, miraculously escaped from. Sadly he didn’t escape being shot a number of years ago which has left him disabled. Nevertheless it is great to see this man overcome so many hurdles in his life. Long may it continue (safely!).
on 28 November 2014
Brilliant, for its insights into many different places he visited around the world and for his love of adventure. Gardner's courage in overcoming his cruel disabilities shines through. One of Britain's best experts on security issues in the middle east and elsewhere, he is also an inspiring person. This is a must-read book, very informative, very entertaining.
on 2 April 2018
delivery very good ,product was supposed to be in good condition but was in fact a very well used ex library book with some of colour print pages adrift.I received four books this order this was the only one that disappointed.
on 14 December 2017
Great train reading book when commuting as I imagined I was travelling to wherever Frank took us to next, rather than my actual destination of dull, grey, London. Inspiring and thought provoking throughout.
on 3 December 2017
Excellent book, highly recommended.
on 8 May 2017
I enjoyed these snippets from Gardner's travels, and the read was an easy one, as each adventure has its own chapter. Not as satisfying as, say, Simon Winchester, but I'll keep the book to read again.
on 19 December 2017
a bit disipointing
on 21 April 2018
Excellent, a great pleasure to read, very finely researched.