Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2017
Another brilliant biography from one of the most famous man on earth . A man who spoke the truth , told it like it was and never looked back! This was Mohammed Ali..funny, charming and a world class sportsman who not only inspired but captivated the world with his wit and humour the faith in which he took sacrifices for. Fascinating to read for any Ali fans.RIP.
on 1 July 2010
Firstly, let me point out that this is not a book about boxing. Obviously, various bouts are mentioned but only to set the scene and mark the various points in the life of this great man. The book is titled "The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on life's journey" and this is exactly what the book achieves. It is a poignant and deeply moving collection of memories and interpretations that show Ali not only as a great champion in the ring, but also a great champion out of it to. Every emotion is portrayed in this book as it takes the reader through a journey of injustice, personal sadness, self discovery and eventually triumph and worldwide adoration. Ali is probably the most famous living person on the planet today and to many he is the number one role model and hero. The book has a strong feminine perspective which is deeply moving and thought provoking and obviously entirely due to Ali's daughter and co author Hana Yasmeen Ali . Her input is very personal and deeply touching as she shares her own personal thoughts and memories of dad. The scattering of poems throughout also contributes to making this book feel more like a personal journal or diary rather than just another biography. After reading this book, the reader will go away with a great understanding of this proud and heroic warrior. He is my hero and reading this has only solidified my deep admiration for him. Muhammad Ali is MUCH MUCH more than boxing. Please read this book.
on 20 December 2012
I had been using my amazon mastercard anywhere and everywhere, which resulted in a nice £10 voucher for anything off amazon. I have always wanted to read Muhammad Ali's autobiography but I think I may have been somewhat distracted when I searched and found this.
It is a beautifully written summary of what I think would be Ali's autobiography or even biography but more focused on his belief of his purpose. Why he was put on Earth, to bring peace and love to everyone who merely hears the mention of his name Muhammad Ali.
It is not meant to be a detailed account of his life, his victories in and out of the ring but the reason behind all of it his goal of peace to all and I think it achieves that. Being the only book I have ever read about this charismatic athlete I am probably more impressed than someone who has exhausted all literature about him but that nonetheless, takes away from this being a great read, even if it is to merely whet your appetite for more detailed books about Ali and his inspiring life.
on 2 July 2016
If reading this doesn't reawaken your belief in hope, love, perseverance, kindness and God, then nothing will. A beautiful reflection into the personal life of one of the greatest men that ever lived; Muhammad Ali. He is truly one in a million and the world will cherish his legacy forever. A must read for those that love Muhammad and all that he strived and stood for.
on 3 February 2010
In the past I had read a few books on Ali, I remember around the time I was 11 I just started highschool and I came across a book about Muhammed Ali and I was hooked right there and then, I was amazed by his courage in and out of the ring... Over the years since then I have read other books about Ali written by outsiders and they were great, they gave me an idea of what kind of man Ali was during his early boxing years.

But since then I always wondered; if Ali could talk the way he could, what would he be saying? what are his thoughts? what are his feelings? I just thought it was a shame that we had a man with so much god given wisdom and wit to be reduced to less than a shadow of his former loud opinionated self.

This book however fufilled my wish to know what Ali has become post his boxing years, his condition was physical and not mental and I think what the book offers is summed up by Ali himself(very nicely I think) when he says that in his youth he begun a journey in boxing to develop himself physically and that since he retired he began a journey to develop himself spiritually.

I was hooked and I finnished reading it all in one go, its full of poems by Ali and stories of Ali's journey in life, his regrets, his victories, his losses and more importantly his faith, faith which I feel after reading the book is what gave him the ability to reach greatness.

Because if it wasn't for his faith he wouldnt of had found the strength to to go on when he was stripped away from the title, if it wasnt for his faith he wouldn't be able to go on with his current condition... at the end of the day faith in god is what ultimately gave Ali the will & courage to do what he did...

in conclusion I'd say that this book clears up some misconceptions about Ali as a person and it reveals the compassionate nature of the man who helped pave the way for equality, a man who lost everything to uphold his faith and a man whos faith helped him to regain everything, a man who encourages people to have faith no matter which god they chose to follow.

Ali is the greatest of all time...
on 8 July 2017
This book is highly inspirational and well written. It is highly physiological and gives a wonderful insight of how The Greatest, was well beyond just boxing.
Ali was a living legend,poet, humanitarian,devoted to his convictions and faith.
A must read even if you dislike boxing or boxers. These lies may deep meanings in this book which many will find
useful in their everyday life and find reading and understanding it, comforting.
on 2 March 2017
Wonderful book that gave me so much inspiration! I will dip in and out of this book again for sure. It provided me with so much and what emerges is a remarkably humble man, full of immense religious faith with searing honesty and a desire to help others. Tremendous tool to help with your day to day life!
on 28 December 2014
Inspiring, moving, enjoyable. This book is a journey to his soul, but also offers a handful of lessons on life, love, compassion, equality. A beautiful book to add to your collection, and a perfect gift for any of your friends. I highly recommend it to everyone.
on 19 April 2017