Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 21 February 2018
A delightful read. I admire Susie's ability to live in the rather bleak conditions and her dealings with the amazing characters she met
on 28 April 2010
I have recently returned to the UK after 4 years living "my great adventure" in France and having enjoyed my time there so much I cannot get enough of reading other people's views of life in France. I thoroughly enjoyed Susie Kelly's book and was pleased that she found most of the people to be as kind and helpful (most of the time) as my husband and I did. It was a well written book and I couldn't put it down till I had finished it.
To anyone thinking of relocating to France I would recommend that they read this book first!
on 22 June 2016
Excellent book, you really feel part of it, her humour is wonderful and what a wonderful adventure. Not a boring page in it.
on 2 March 2011
Just wish that Susie would write more books than the three which we have read and thoroughly enjoyed. She writes beautifully and captures the moment with great sensitivity. Helpful, factual and very entertaining, whilst accurately reflecting life and experiences in La Belle France.
on 30 June 2016
quite a good book but not one I would read again.
on 31 January 2016
Very enjoyable
on 7 June 2015
I really enjoyed this book.I love Susie Kellys sense of humour. A great read.
on 28 March 2015
I was looking forward to an amusing/serious narrative of someone starting a new life in France and the kind of challenges they had to overcome. But this book makes painful reading for me. The author comes across as so unbelievably disorganised, chaotic and incapable to get to terms with her new life that I thought she had some sort of learning disorder. Maybe she tried to be self-deprecating and amusing but I could only see her saying over and over again, 'look, how stupid and incapable I was'. It's just too much...the very premise of their move seems absurd: moving into a literal ruin without any money or skill to do it up....aaarrghhh...

She also describes many painful situations like how she sits in her ruin, being totally disorganised (e.g. making two round trips of 80 km in total to the nearby town to buy a single screw, when she could have bought a bigger packet from the supermarket - not that she ever would need any more screws in her building project!!) Then a stranger comes along and asked her to buy a horse for yet another stranger residing in Spain. 'Obviously', she spends several DAYS making phone calls, raking up a tremendous phone bill, for which she has 'obviously' no money to pay and - suprise surprise - is getting absolutely nowhere. ....aaaarggghhh...

Sorry, this is just too painful to me to read before bed and I may not finish it.
on 14 November 2016
I bought this book on the basis of other reviews, but was sadly disappointed.
The author allowed friends and neighbours to treat her terribly and then exacted revenge by featuring them in her unfavourable accounts of 'life in France'. This book could have been set anywhere, except for the fact that the author was apparently the only person able to speak both French and English which made her indispensible to her manipulative and grasping neighbours. After one particularly awful chapter, I felt my blood pressure rising and put the book down with the intent of never picking it up again. However, I did finish it and the second to last chapter was almost good. But, I found it to be neither warm, gentle or funny! Instead, it was simply a disjointed ramble of thinly held together anecdotes alongside an awful lot of moaning.
on 16 August 2017
Too chaotic,withalltheneighbourscomings and goings.