Customer reviews

Bitter Almonds: Recollections and recipes from a Sicilian girlhood
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 December 2014
Unusual book. Worth reading just to gain an insight of the life and times of its inhabitants.
on 1 May 2013
This is a very good book full of wonderful recipes from an extraordinary patisserie from Sicily. I was there in March and wanted badly to find the recipes of their unforgettable sweets.
on 6 February 2014
I gave this book 5* because it mixes a beautiful memoir with out standing recipes.
I would recommend this book to any one interested in cookery and travel.
on 29 January 2009
I don't agree with the previous review, I found the story fascinating. The recipes are to die for....I had to make the amaretti 3 times this Christmas just to have enough for Xmas lunch because as soon as they came out of the oven they were eaten. You don't have to be a student of 'sugarcraft' at all, the recipes are simple, anybody who can use a wooden spoon and a mixing bowl can cope. I have since bought another copy of the book for a friend.
on 4 December 2014
Exactly what I was expecting
on 10 August 2014
Excellent. Speedy delivery.
on 4 March 2003
This book is neither a detailed insight into a vanished way of life, nor a particularly useful resource for recipes. I may be biased because I took it on holiday and was expecting to be entertained, and found myself wondering why the biographer hadn't asked Maria's contemporaries what they remembered of the Convent and what her siblings' memories of that time were, what the villagers knew of the Convent and its inhabitants, all manner of questions were unanswered. In all, I felt the biographer just wasn't up to her job, the images weren't convincing and the recipe section could have been much better, perhaps more effort would tempt the reader to try the recipes for themselves. I don't think this is a book for a casual reader, but students of sugarcraft might borrow a copy from the library.
on 4 December 2015
V evocative of commercial Italian cooking for sale from convents.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse