Customer reviews

Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2013
A fantastic book by Manda Scott, now can not wait for future books to arrive in the shops
Happy reading Keith
on 24 April 2016
I can never get enough of this book. Have read the whole series 3 times since I bought it. Well done Manda Scott.
on 8 November 2012
I read all four Boudica books in a row as I was so gripped by them. Great action and characterisation.
on 6 October 2013
Not sure at all about this book: There is a cracking story going on here but I reckon that Ms Scott finished the book in half the pages, then went back and padded it out with an awful lot of poetic discription. I found myself flicking past the often pointless ramblings of bird song and jumping fish to get to the brilliant story. But. But. But. I have just bought the second installment.
on 29 June 2014
I cannot recommend these books highly enough. Stick with them through the first few chapters of Dreaming The Eagle and you will find yourself immersed in a world of warriors and dreamers. I read all four books within a matter of weeks and felt lost when I finished the last one. The vivid descriptions bring both the characters and the time to life. Excellent!
on 31 May 2011
I discovered these books in the library and did not realise they were a trilogy, I read the secon one in the series first and was hooked so I read the first and then through to the end. I am a real fan of historical novels and Manda scott is amazing at drawing the reader into the stories. I really could not put these books down and was distraught when I had finished them. Absolutely amazing
on 7 June 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed all four novels from the Boudica series. It drew me in and captured me like no other. Manda's attention to detail throughout all of the books allowed me to completely immerse myself in the story, as though I was there. It gave me an insight to the lives of those at the time that I had never appreciated before. I felt like I could smell the smoke on the Great Round House, feel the texture of plants, feel the yearning for the characters' lovers or their exhaustion from battle. Most importantly for me, it allowed me to develop an overwhelming bond with the characters, a real sense if intense familiarity as if they were my family and friends... As though I was Breaca.

Manda's style of writing allows the reader to develop a real understanding of the characters' personalities and invites you to join them on their journey to discover themselves. You learn some things about yourself too. I found myself emotionally drawn into their lives, shedding more than a few tears along the way, as I journeyed on their roller coaster of emotions - guilt, remorse, regret, jealousy, love, etc.

The strength of the dreaming was incredible and refreshing to be open to the powers of their gods that were connected to the Earth, rather than the writings in a book.

Reading the Boudica's story was a great experience, I don't think I have felt so involved in a book since a child. It was great to find new heroes in my life and to gain a small insight into this time in Britain's history. The storyline was cleverly interwoven into the facts available, bringing the artefacts to life in a colourful way - so you could both learn and romanticise.

It was a sad moment when I finished the last page of the fourth book, not only because it was the end of the series, but because it was time to say goodbye to the characters. It was like saying goodbye to friends you have known all your life.

So a very large thanks to Manda, who should be truly commended for her outstanding writing. Simply superb.
Sarah
on 26 March 2004
I don't know how I was so late in finding this book as Boudica has been such an iconic figure for me since I was a child. I am soooo glad I have found this book now.
The word "Wow" sums up how I felt after the first few chapters. Having been so into Boudica for many many years I had my own ideas on the whole legend and character, but Manda Scott has only enriched this world, and presented so many great ways in which to view Boudica. More possibilities of historical thought have been opened up through what is for the most part fiction.
The book follows Breaca(Boudica) from a young woman onwards to accepting leadership of warriors in battle against the invading Romans of 43AD. Bringing in all the politics of the tribes of Britain, their gods and beliefs, but also meeting Boudica's family and those she holds dear.
The concepts of "dreaming" and honour the author has written about have such strength and power. The world she has enlightened to the reader is so vivid and strong to the reader's mind it is as if you are pulling back a curtain and entering that world.
It's a simply breathtaking and beautiful book and I already have the second book "Dreaming The Bull" lined up to read.
It was said that J.R.R.Tolkien wrote Lord Of The Rings to create a mythology for England. This book is like reading actual history and all of it is so believable. But most of all it makes you really care for the characters and feel their joy and pain.
Well done Manda Scott!!!!
on 6 October 2011
This book is great, better than great. Manda Scott is a very skilled writer, through her writing you almost feel like you're there. So many people talk about this book being historically accurate or not, but they need to remember; historians know very little of the Celtic tribal world and indeed of Boudica. Through archaeology and the myths of Ireland/Britain, Manda Scott pieces together a great story.

We know Boudica existed, we know she fought Rome and sacked London and we know she was never caught, all of which takes place in these books, but history can't tell us what she ate, who she loved and what the druids dreamt of, but Manda Scott makes an educated guess in line with Celtic myth/historical findings.

Some say Boudica and Britain's ancient tribes were not Celtic, I think the fact that they spoke a Celtic language and had a Celtic belief system is enough to deem them Celtic. It would not of been a term they would have used, but then again Native Americans, Eskimos & Aborigines all have a different name for themselves.

Off my soap box and back to the book ; the battle scenes are amazing and jump of the page and the wars between Natives and Rome are thrilling and Middle Earth-like, but what really leaves a lasting impression is the incredibly moving and layered humanity of the piece and the relationships between mother and child, horse and soldier, lover and warrior and war and country.
on 10 September 2014
Cracking storyline that keeps you reading long after lights out.