on 15 January 2015
The Foundation is undoubtedly one of the seminal works of science fiction, and it holds up reasonably well as a modern read. Some of the references seem a little dated - the holding up of 'atomics' as the be-all and end-all of scientific progress for example comes across as a little quaint, but if you can put that aside you'll find a very enjoyable book awaits you.

Structurally, it's somewhat unusual - really, the book is a series of connected short stories, each involving a different set of characters and a different societal context, all linked into one overarching epic tale of imperial degradation and rebirth. On the one hand, it makes it difficult to really get into the heads of the characters, each of which is a scheming Machiavellian genius. On the other, it creates a sense of epic scope and scale that simpler narrative forms wouldn't have allowed. It feels in some respects like dipping into a vast, ongoing drama from which we cannot drink too deeply lest it overwhelm. As a series of science fiction epic vignettes, it's done remarkably well.

Seeing the book in its modern context too reveals just how influential it has been in classic and modern science fiction. Warhammer 40k seems to have been one of the primary beneficiaries in that respect, with both the Imperium of Man and the Adeptus Mechanicus drawing liberally from the canon of Foundation, but there are precursor or progenitor fragments of half a dozen science fiction universes to be found within.

It's not a perfect book - the vignette style is important to the telling, but has the unavoidable consequence of fragmenting the reading experience, and there is an awful lot of exposition threaded through its scant few pages. However, it is a very good book and I enjoyed reading it.
on 8 June 2017
I have read Asimov's trilogy years ago and wanted to buy a kindle version as I love the story but there isn't a kindle version so I bought the audio version instead. It is the first audio book I have tried and have only heard the first chapter. I use it on my kindle fire, I think it is good however my hearing is not 100% so I have the volume at maximum which may account for some distortion. I find it more difficult to visualise the characters than when reading but as I've read it before that's ok but the dramatic music that delineates the scenes is overpowering and must have been input for radio listeners. Overall I think it is good and certainly value for the money I paid although I may try headphones in future
on 21 March 2013
Foundation is a collection of short stories telling a big story, the collapse of entire galactic empire, and the creation of its successor by a small sects of scientists devoted to predicting the future. It is a book of big ideas: the feasibility of knowing the future, the relationship between science and religion, the evolution of ideas, the struggle between the individual and the state, and the role of technology in promoting war and peace.

The only thing small about this book is the book itself.

Foundation is undoubtedly a classic of science fiction, trail blazing a path for many imitators, and formulating ideas that influenced a generation of science fiction writers. It deserves to be a longer book, and I found its brevity dissatisfying and the characters somewhat shallow. I guess that means I should read volume two. Given its size, if you are interested in science fiction, you don't have much excuse for ignoring this book.
on 22 October 2013
I do not read Pure Sci Fi books too often mainly Koontz/Herbert/King but, when told to get the Asimov series, I made the leap and found I could not put them down and ended up reading one after the other. These are excellent books and keep you interested all the way through the lifetime of the foundation series. I would recommed these to anyone who likes to read well written and gripping books. I have tried other since but no other author can keep me interested as Asimov did. I suppose it is dependent upon individual tastes and these are my cup of tea. Seller was excellent providing great service and delivery.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2013
on 21 September 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't say it was gripping, I wouldn't say it was a page turner, it just plodded on, this is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5. But I did enjoy it never the less. I liked how the book shifted through time, 50 years, then 30 years, then 100 years, then finally 2 years. My favorite character was Salvor Hardin, and I loved how his section ended.

I think I will read next other Foundation books, mainly to see how it all fits together and ends. I would recomend this book to everyone who likes Sci-fi, because it is a classic, and it is different to what is on the shelves at the moment, I feel everyone should read at least one classic in their genre, in their life at some point.
on 31 May 2014
Read these three books many years ago when they were originally published.
I became a reader of sci Fi literally at my Father's knee where he would encourage and support me by explaining words and sometimes concepts that I was unsure of. On rereading I now remember how much pleasure they gave me.
For a modern reader the language is probably as dated as Jules Verne or Tolkien were to me then, but this should not detract from enjoying them. They are not Space Thrillers like so much of modern sci fi but are based on politics and economics on a Galactic scale, but you don't need a degree to understand and enjoy.
on 7 December 2016
I presume there is a reason why this is one of the most famous science fiction books.... it is excellent and written intellengtly
on 8 January 2014
I bought this as a present for my dad as an avid Asimov fan. He was so happy to receive it and loved it more because it was an early edition. For a second hand book, it was in lovely condition; no tears, stains or marks and it may as well have been his all along. I cannot remember much about the delivery or cost, but I do recall being pleased with both.
As someone who has only read a couple of Asimov stories myself, I can only say that what I have read is very enjoyable sci-fi. A reason for why his books have been made into equally enjoyable movies.
on 18 September 2017
Can confirm what others have said about the editing of this publisher. Just bad - sentences repeated halfway through, Sun / Sutt character typo was extremely perplexing to a first-time reader. It's not a long book. Hire someone to proof.

Great read, lovely cover designs, would and have recommended to friends. Publishing errors did not detract hugely, there are perhaps a dozen, mostly in the last "book".