Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 May 2013
This is probably one of the most original novels I've read in a while. I particularly enjoyed the humour created by Vere's 'idiot' persona and the plot had some substance. I also felt the emotional side of the story was particularly well-handled.
on 5 February 2015
Some funny moments from the lead male and a nice, gradual resolution of the protagonists relationship from its unpromising beginning. The usual hot love scenes too.
on 24 October 2015
Brilliant!
on 10 July 2013
This was the first Sherry Thomas novel I had read and, after reading lots of Regency romances, I was starting to get a bit jaded by the standard plots of incorrigible rake meets fascinating innocent. This was refreshingly different. I was almost disappointed when Lord Vere finally dropped his idiot persona as it had provided so many moments of humour, intrigue and conflict. The author's writing and dialogue is captivating and very entertaining. I especially liked the scene after the wedding when Elissande is drunk and strangely fascinated by her handsome idiot of a husband - Ms Thomas very cleverly keeps us amused, frustrated and enthralled at the same time.

Like another reviewer, my only "disappointment" was the relatively mild reaction of Lord Vere when Elissande was attacked by her uncle. I also was not overly captivated by the aspect of the plot that related to her uncle and his crimes. However, I know I really enjoyed this book as I read it twice in a short space of time!

I also very much enjoyed some of her other books, "Delicious" and "Private Arrangements". I do like the way she seems to always include an interesting romance between lesser characters as well. If you are looking for an above average historical romance with flair, you can't go wrong.
on 16 January 2013
I haven't read Sherry Thomas (ST)for a while and very conveniently downloaded the ebook. I was interested in a bit of humour in a romance story and I was not disappointed. It's not roll on the ground laughing which would wreck the atmosphere, but the injection of humour was just right. I thought this storyline was original and refreshing. ST definitely has a way with words.
on 28 July 2010
This is an intriguing story because you have the hapless Lord Vere who is a Government Spy but hides behind an identity where he plays Lord Idiot who mixes up his facts, gets easiliy confused, has the knack of being in places where he is not welcome or invited, forgets facts easily, talks incessantly & most of that is a load of nonsense. A clever disguise & not even his own brother realises that this is just an act. As an agent he has tracked down numerous criminals & solved a lot of crimes. His latest job is to investigate a man who has made his name through diamonds.

Elissande Edgerton is beautiful & has a many faceted personality but she is desperate to escape with her Aunt from her "despotic" tyrannical uncle. He is truely cruel. What makes her complex is that she "acts" when she is with people which she has had to improvise because that is what her uncle has turned her into. She smiles but its not real & so when Vere encounters her he realises that she is false but he cannot help liking her, admiring her but he falls into her trap as her desperation forces her to entrap him into marriage. Here comes the twist in the tale as he questions why knowing that he is an idiot she has dragged him to the alter.

Along comes the intersting twists as you see flashes of the ingenious man who lets out his true personality - one occassion being when she imbibes too much alcohol. These flashes are tactfully executed by the author. Ellissande soon however discovers this act & realises that both of them have much in common.

Behind this you see the cruelty & menance of the uncle & his attempts to hold his neice under a very tight reign. My one criticism of this story would be that i wanted Vere to display more sympathy to his wife when her uncle hits her & that part of the story to have had more significance.

As they get to know one another & discover the true personality that is inherrant under all the layers they realise what they are really all about. I thought that the story about the background lovestory between the brother & his childhood friend did not really work & dragged just a wee bit.

I really admire ST - this one may not be as good as her previous ones but i still rate her amongst my keepers & this book is still exceptional. The original complex depiction in both characters is really good & that is what makes her unique. I would buy her next book without thinking. A must read this one. I loved the part when Ellissande sees him as he changes his clothes - much like girls admiring the male physique - brilliantly executed. The success of a book depends on how likeable the characters are & in this she excells....
on 27 April 2016
I liked this book, an unusual storyline which I'm surprised to say was wholly credible. I found it amusing with good characters. I'd read this author again.
on 16 March 2011
As soon as it arrived I couldn't put it down. It was an excellent read and if you like romance with a dash of intrigue then this is the book for you. I thought it was well written and the author (Sherry Thomas) showed in-depth knowledge of her subject. I would certainly be buying more of her books.
on 21 December 2014
Lord Vere was first mentioned in The Luckiest Lady In London: London Book 1, however, only in passing. I never realized he had his own book, but here it is. Lord Vere has the reputation of a less than interesting conversationalist to say the least. He was apparently injured in a riding accident a few years back and now his convo absolutely drives people nuts. It's all a ploy to keep people from catching onto the fact, he's a secret agent for the government.

When his path crosses with Elissande Edgerton, he and his comrades have no idea how desperate she is to get out of her uncle's home and get her aunt to safety. When her uncle leaves for a few days, Vere and his team descend upon her home, begging to be allowed her hospitality due to a rat invasion of the home where they are staying. Of course the rat infestation is only an excuse to get into her uncle's home in order to investigate him. Lord Vere gets more than he bargained for when he is very neatly entrapped into marrying Elissande.

From this point on, the storyline is a mix of Vere's and Elissande's growth in their rocky relationship, Vere's secret agent work involving Elissande's uncle and Vere going in and out of his dumbed down character. Yes, there's a secondary romance involving Frederick, Vere's younger brother who was featured in Private Arrangements, which adds some interest to the storyline. Overall, however, Vere's fake personality wasn't funny nor was it intriguing. I thought it was boring.

Elissande's situation was unique and interesting and I liked her character. She hated trapping Lord Vere but she was desperate. Overall, I felt this story lacked romance although when Lord Vere wasn't acting the court jester, he was certainly sexy and more interesting - there just wasn't enough room made for his true character. This is probably one my least favorite of Ms. Thomas' book.
on 2 March 2016