Customer reviews

on 19 June 2013
The third book in the otherworld series and as always a great read from Kelley Armstrong.

It has been a while since they freed everyone from the compound and Savannah, a powerful teenage witch, is the ward of 23 year old Paige, the new coven leader. Narrated by Paige, as she struggles to empathise with Savannah and her macabre tendencies, she is suddenly forced into a custody battle for Savannah, who one day will become an incredibly powerful supernatural. The person wanting custody is her supposed father Kristof Nast, a sorcerer who helps run a mafia style supernatural company. Seeing how witches and sorcerers detest each other, Paige is convinced it is a ploy to gain Savannah as a powerful asset because what witch would ever sleep with a sorcerer? A modern, media driven witch hunt begins and Paige is forced to make decisions that go against everything she has been raised for. With the, at first unwanted, help of a young sorcerer, who has his own reasons for involving himself in the case, Paige is determined to fight to keep Savannah safe, even if it means losing everything she has ever worked for.
on 22 January 2011
I was a bit hesitant to read this third book as it marks a major shift in gear from Elena, Clay, Jeremy and the werewolves to Paige, Savannah and the witches.
I think I was right to be worried. I didn't warm very much towards Paige in the second book Stolen and although this book did manage to improve on that somewhat, there is still a way to go before I will be rooting for her in the way I did for Elena.
Paige is strangely unsympathetic towards Savannah, a girl that she is apparently fighting to keep custody of against half-demons and sorceror cabals. This is a child who was kidnapped and then whose mother was murdered, leaving her alone in the world with dark and mysterious powers. Perhaps a little compassion was warranted?
Savannah is, in many ways, a much more interesting character than Paige. She's unpredictable, feisty, independent and possibly in possession of some pretty dark magic skills. Similarly, Cortez, Paige's custody lawyer holds plenty of interest as a character. He at least makes up for the fact that Adam, another interesting character from book 2, barely features in this one.
The main problem with this installment is that the story really doesn't get going until about half-way. After that, it does improve and I did read quite quickly to the end. It felt as though this was a transitional story; that it was necessary to get a few bits and pieces of plot moving along so that the next book can pick up the pace. There is also the problem of having fallen in love with characters in the first two books and then have them disappear. I did find that I missed Clay, Elena and Jeremy and the whole fascinating world of the pack. In the book's favour, there is a good mix of drama, action and a touch of romance.

I would say, yes, read this, but be prepared to miss the old characters terribly. Also, prepare to be patient about the fact that you will need to really stick with it for a while before the plot gets going. Hopefully the next book Industrial Magic will move the story along a little better.

NB/ The Kindle edition is well-formatted and error free. Download away!
One person found this helpful
on 3 April 2012
I chanced upon this author's works and decided to give them a try and I am delighted that I did so. As a teacher in a secondary school, I find that reading works of fiction is my only true release and means of relaxation. I like to leave this real world behind for a time. Subsequently, I intend to buy all of the books in this series of books, as they make for an addictive read and allow me to completely switch off from my working life. Each story can stand alone, but Kelley Armstrong weaves her related characters beautifully throughout each story. One is reminded of the relationships as you proceed through each story and you really believe in each and every one of her supernatural characters. This is the third book in the series and, like books one and two, is fast paced, imaginative, magical and a lovely read. Anybody who likes/loves the supernatural or fantasy novel would be well advised to read these books. They are not quite teenage literature, as they cover a number of adult themes, but they are a gentle read - the perfect book to switch off with.

This particular story line tells of an age old conflict between witches and sorcerers, with a half-demon thrown in here and there, and how some individuals come together to right wrong doings, despite their so called differences.
on 18 May 2012
Ok so the first two books in the series hooked me, but i did feel a little dubious as to buying this as it no longer focuses on Elena and the werewolves, but on the witch Paige and her charge Savannah. Now I must admit i did not like Paige at all in the previous books, she came across as short-sighted, spoiled and naive. That said, she does have a bit more maturity in this book, or perhaps things just look and feel different from her own perspective. Either way, I found myself slowly growing to like her... just a little.

For the most part this isn't a high action book, the action is subdued and spaced out and most of the book is extremely domestic. What really made this fun for me was Savannah and Lucas. Savannah is your bubbly, moody, devil-may-care teen and never lets Paige forget it. Lucas is interesting in that he's extremely formal, at first anyway, and he's reserved, a total opposite to Paige really.

Not a bad addition but not sure i'll read it again. I will buy the next in the series though as I see potential and the witchraft details are interesting
on 8 July 2008
In it, we see a young Massachusetts witch and coven leader called Paige do battle with a sorcerer's cabal over the guardianship of a powerful young witch called Savannah, who is about to hit puberty and really see her powers develop.

The sorcerer is portrayed as the evil enemy, with all the power that a life of wealth and privilege can provide, while Paige is portrayed as the "plucky little woman who could."

The sorcerer attempts a number of ways to get Paige to give up Savannah (ranging from the legal to outright violence via blackmail and raising zombies), while Page fights back gamely, and stays in the game throughout the book.

The book wasn't bad, but I found the general thrust of the book to be a little depressing, if I'm honest. I've lost family members who are very close to me, so I identified with the "goodies" a little too much I think think, which made the book feel somewhat depressing to me.

So blah, it's not bad, I just don't think it's the right book for me.
on 26 February 2013
Dime Store Magic is the third book in The Women of the Otherworld series. Paige Winterbourne, head of the witches coven and guardian of black witch Eve Levines daughter Savanah tells this story and what a story!! Its the story of the huge battle Paige faces to keep custody of Savanah whilst her powerful sorcerer father Kristof Nast (of the Nast Cabal) tries everything he can to take it away!! He enlists the help of Leah, the demon with telekenetic powers from the second Otherworld book, and various other supernaturals, enter Lucas, another sorcerer, but he shows Paige and Savanah that not all sorcerers are the same!!! another excellent book from KA!! Keep reading I know I am going to!!!!
on 28 September 2015
As one of the early books in the series it is obviosly going to be a bit uneven in places -- but still a worthwhile read/buy.
Eventually I will buy the whole set ( I am replacing a set of old friends I have lost over time ).
on 29 July 2013
Yes yes there is no Elena and the gorgeous Clay which seems o be the heart of most discussions when reviewing this book. However, this is about Paige this is Armstrong's chance to build the readers connection with the new Coven leader in preparation for the rest fo the series, it allows you chance to understand her as previously she came off as cold. In this book we see her struggle against her Coven, adapt to becoming a mother role to Savannah all the while battling sorcerers and demons!

Definitely would recommend to anyone who has read Bitten and Stolen and even those who haven't as you don't necessarily need the background.
on 13 August 2014
I have read most of Kelly Armstrong's novels concerning supernaturals she has an intriguing concept on the subject. her characters are strong and her story ideas keep you enthralled from page one to the end so far I have read 13 of her books and have enjoyed every one of them
on 5 August 2016
absolutely fantastic, I didn't think it would be as good as Bitten and Stolen with it being witches instead of werewolves, but it has a certain charm.

Paige is a likeable character you can grow attached to, much like Elena.

Currently reading industrial magic and can't wait to see how to the story unfolds.