Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2017
All good
on 30 December 2009
This was a typical Quick book; brooding, troubled, jaded hero and strong-willed eccentric heroine. Pretty predictable but good none the less and would recommend it to fellow Quick fans.I like Quick's heroines because there is no pretence and prolonged periods of 'hating' the heros.
on 3 May 2015
I always enjoy Amanda Quick. A must buy for me.
on 20 January 1997
This was my first Amanda Quick novel and I am hooked. She writes characters who are open and real. In this historical romance, the heroine runs an island (named Desire) after her father's death leaves her in charge. The hero does not swoop in and save the day because she can't cope; he just brings love and romance. And helps her solve a mystery that arrives with him! Wonderful. Quick avoids the stereotypical romance novel theme where most of the plot consists of misunderstandings between the two leads because each refuses to tell the other of their feelings. Quick's story involves both steamy love and mysterious murder. A great read -- I couldn't put it down.
on 24 April 1999
the book is about a headstrong woman and a feirce warrior with the same streak of stuborness. it's extremly funny... and scince i have read amanda quick's other books i know that this one will keep you awake at night.
on 25 July 2001
A fantastic story which kept me reading for hours on end. I simply was unable to put it down. The tight knit work of a story along with a sweet romance. Just beautiful
on 12 March 1999
After reading some of her recent (very) idiotic books, I went back to the book that got me started on AQ. I swear, it does not compare. THIS is a wonderful story. But lately, all her books are THE SAME: Bluestocking/spinster obsessed with unfashionable stuff (metaphysics, ancient cultures, godawful precious stone, unsolved something or other, etc) hires man of affairs (I swear, if AQ uses that phrase ONE MORE TIME) and even though she has kept herself pure, she has sex with him at the first opportunity. Then, there will be a sex scene in some bizarre setting (cave, dusty museum, etc) and some run of the mill complication, but, aided by their nutball relatives/house staff/friends, the mystery is solved/treasure found/murder solved, etc, and there you have it. In the godforsaken case Ms. Quick reads this. Please please, stop assembly-line-ing your books. I have a computer program that does better, and I want a hero and heroine I have not met before, for god's sakes.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2005
set on the island of Desire ophaned lady clare knows she has to mary in order to protect her island.But her guardians choice of suiter does not meat her ideal.their is the usaul mystery plot that puts their lives in peril.Anther great book by amanda quick with the normal fast paced story with ups downs and treasure.
on 8 April 1999
This was my first historical romance novel and I loved it. This is what got me started. I really enjoyed the charecters and story line. Ever since reading this book, I have read all of her other books. Most of them are set in the London "ton", but not this one. And that is what I loved about it. The only complaint I have (that's why I didn't give it 5*) was the ending. It was too abrupt. I was hoping for a little more details, but did'nt get them. Other than that, the book was great!
on 9 January 2017
Amanda Quick at her best, great escape from the modern world