VINE VOICEon 8 November 2004
THE STORY:
Seven years after 'Return of the Jedi', Rogue Squadron pilot Corran Horn's wife goes missing and Corran decides to develop his Force talent at the new Jedi academy in order to find her.
WHAT'S GOOD:
This is a truly unique book for two main reasons; it's the first (and so far only) Star Wars novel to be written in first person and it's the first whose plot runs parallel to that of another Star Wars novel (or in this case three others - the Jedi Academy trilogy). This book genuinely shows the character developing by leaps and bounds as he attempts to balance his life experience against the teachings of the Jedi. I liked the fact that Corran's Force-powers are handicapped, giving the story a little bit of an edge as he has to deal with this issue. I enjoyed the interworking with the JA trilogy, giving a very different perspective on familiar event (I particularly liked his investigation into Exar Kun). My favourite part of the book is where Mara Jade gives Kun a thorough dressing-down, saying how pitiful he is compared to Vader and Palpatine. Another simple plus is that this is a nice long book, not the 300 page stuff that's been churned out since. Look out for plenty of familiar characters from all across the expanded universe, including Leonia Tavira (from the X-Wing comics) and Brakiss (from 'The New Rebellion' and the Young Jedi Knights series), to name just two.
WHAT'S BAD:
To be honest, I've never really liked Corran. He's just a bit too self-righteous and preachy. He goes beyond even himself in this book as he decides to lecture Luke about how to train Jedi, which I thought was frankly ridiculous.
Exar Kun: Who dares!?
Mara Jade: 'Who cares?', more accurately.
on 24 August 2001
I, Jedi was the first Star Wars book I read out of the library of books available now. I have recently re read the book and just have to let you know that it's wonderfull. This book in my opinion is better than the Thrawn Trilogy, Jedi Academy Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, and Planet of Twilight.
I like the way the book focusses on a new character, Corran Horn, sets up a problem for him, and follows him through his training at the Jedi Academy, interacting with the other students.
I totally recommend this book to all Star Wars fans, particularly those keen on the Jedi / Force side of the story.
on 12 November 2001
I borrowed this book from the library ages ago and read the first chapter or so and found it not to my liking.
But later on (about 2 years ago) I thought, hey why not buy it just to complement my huge Star Wars book collection (almost all of them aside from the most recent New Jedi Order books and most of the Rogue Squadron books). I had a half term holiday and so I read the book.
You will not believe how much I love this book.
From near the start, right until the end this book is impossible to stop reading. I finished it in about 5 days which is quite a feat considering how thick it is, because I didn't want to put it down. People say that about a lot of books but I mean it here.
Why is it that good? Firstly it's from the perspective of a character who's not that important (unless you read the Rogue Squadron books, which I didn't. Anyway he becomes more important in later books). Corran Horn is a Republic pilot with the Force, and when his wife is kidnapped, he goes for Jedi training from Luke. This is written in the first-person, which allows us to understand what's going through his head all the time.
The sheer genius of this book can't be done justice to. It's gripping and deep, while at the same time there are absolutely hilarious parts in the book. I love it.
And if you only read one Star Wars book, don't buy one of those film tie-ins (if you must, get Episode I by Terry Brooks because it rocks) and don't just pick anything with a picture of Luke, Han and Leia on it. Get I, Jedi, because it's just brilliant.
Mike Stackpole is undoubtedly the best Star Wars author (yes he's better than Tim Zahn), and this is undoubtedly the best book with the Star Wars name on it, if not the best book I've ever read.
on 18 February 2014
To be fair, I have to admit that I read this book over 10 years ago, when I was in my late teens. At the time, it was the best book I had ever read and I still have fond memories of it.

I enjoyed the entire X-wing series and, for me, this book was the best of the lot.

If you enjoy Star Wars, I fully recommend the entire X-wing series and "I Jedi" is a great book to round off the experience.
on 6 May 2000
Another Star Wars book written around characters other than Luke Skywalker and others, but well written this time. Like all his Rogue Squadron books, I Jedi is excellent. While the idea of putting Mirax in stasis so that Corran can go off and train as a Jedi is a bit doubtful (I know I couldn't do it), this is more than made up for by the res of the book. Combining fantastic Jedi and fighter pilot action with deeper subplots, such as the ease with which he could surrender to the Dark Side, or how life is more shades of grey, as shown by Nive's pirate band, this book is easily the best Star Wars book I've read. If you buy this, you'll want to read everything he's written.
VINE VOICEon 5 May 2001
The summary says it really. Stackpole's always written excellent books, but this is pure silk in a glass. Corran Horn is by far the best Star Wars character that has ever come into being through the books alone, and he deserves a book like this. The plot is excellent, and for those of you put of the the Jedi Academy plot within, don't be; Stackpole's done an amazing job of turning it credible (really!). He's also given some depth to the Exar Kun thing, which was too shallow for me before. And finally! A Jedi who can't reach his lightsaber in a pickle! Now THERE'S some originality for you! Buy it, if only to prove me wrong. But I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
on 4 March 2013
these are continuing tales following on from one another dating back all the way to the last film return of the jedi , a must read for any Star Wars fan !!!!
on 12 September 2010
Having not read the X wing series, and not read a Star Wars novel for a while, I was attracted to this by the comments. It is a long book, but I think that is because it is in two halves, both of which stand as good stories. The first half concerns the main characters decision to start training and then his time at the Jedi Academy, and refer to other incidents from other books as it follows their timelines. The background about training is interesting, and the re-emergence of the Sith power creates a mystery to solve. The second half is after he leaves the Academy, and in trying to rescue his wife falls in with pirates. All the raids, battles and groups are described before it all comes together and he attempts to unravel the organisation from within.
The book changes pace a lot, between space dogfights, complete with technical terms and nicknames, fights and gun battles, and the periods in between, whether they are living in a city or being in training. The changes are refreshing and more interesting than a mere story narrative, making the book insightful and pleasant to read, and raising it above the normal Star Wars novels.
on 16 November 1999
I thought this book gave a very good look at other parts of the star wars universe as it did not center around luke skywalker and friends but around a character by the name of corran horn.this character has very interesting jedi roots and at the beginning of the story flys with rogue squadron.He loses his wife to some malevolent force and so decides to join luke skywalkers jedi academy.This book follows very closely with the events surrounding kevin j andersons jedi academy tirlogy without infringing too much on the sotryline of these books.This book also gives a very good outline of a species not often mentioned, The CAAMASI, giving a very good description of their misfortunes, of how they look and of what they are in personality and traits.All in all a very interesting read with a good measure of good vs evil and a good lot of imperials and ex-imperials thrown in.
on 10 March 2001
I, jedi is a terrfic book, introducing a new character the awesome Corranhorn. As the book starts Corran is already a hero while working with theformidable rogue Squardon, one night as he comes home he sees his wifeMirax Terrix has gone missing . That night he has a Jedi vision of hiswife pleading for help. He then listens to the recording of his late fatherand learns of his Jedi hertiage. He joins Lukes famed Jedi academy to getthe skills to find Mirax but leaves in frustration at Lukes trainingmethods. Now alone corran must combine his Jedi abilities with his skillsused in his past in Corsec and in the rogue Squardon to find his missingwife. This book is excellent it introduces important new characters such asKyp Durron while bringing old ones in such as Exar Kun. This book is setduring Kevin J Anderson Jedi academy trilogy and brings the star warsuniverse into a completely different yet exciting view. Best star wars bookyet well done Micheal a stackpole who proves himself yet again as theundisputed star wars king. Worth every penny!!!!!!