Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2015
Khashoggi is a great weaver of tales and takes you on a journey to exotic locations, and then fills them with interesting characters. I am a fan of this and most of her books, as she just captures and takes over my imagination and that is what a good read should do
on 8 April 2002
What a great book! I could not put it down, quite a page turner...one of the best books I have read.
I have learned a lot through the fascinating journey of that culture, into the heart of arab women. An excellent book written with intelligence and compassion. I have recommanded it to many friends.
on 5 July 2000
Mirage is one of the best books I read, very intriguing and powerful, I loved every page I could not put it down, it's one of those books you don't want ever to end, I wanted to go on and on reading and learning more about that part of the world that I don't know much of. I just got the authors second book 'Nadia's Song'which I know I will enjoy as much, she is defently one of the best story tellers.
on 14 July 2005
This is the first of Ms Soheir Khashoggi's books, which I have read, and it was superb. Set in the fictitious Arabian country of Al-Remal, it tells the story of a girl, born into wealth and privilege in a prominent Arabian family. She lives in a gilded cage, in a land where growing oil wealth and opulence co-exist with archaic traditions and barbaric misogynistic practices.
The book opens with an introduction to Jenna Sorrel, a renowned Harvard-educated psychologist living in Boston, Massachusetts. She is forcibly taken away by men masquerading as immigration officers onto an aircraft: presumably back to Al-Remal, where her sadistic husband Prince Ali has been searching for her whereabouts for several years.
It is then revealed that in a former life, Jenna was known as Amira Badir, a girl who was sold into marriage to a member of the ruling Al-Rashad family. Despite living a glamorous jet-set lifestyle and being surrounded by lavish wealth, Amira endures increasing brutality from her husband, and is stifled by the oppressive environment imposed upon many Arab women, both rich and poor. Eventually, she flees with her baby to the United States to begin a new life. However, the threat of being found by her influential husband, reaching out for her with "arms a billion dollars long", is never far behind.
I have deducted a star merely due to the inconsistent quality of writing: most of the time, it sparkles like a diamond, but occasionally there are colloquial lapses in the narration, which tarnish its lustre. Personally, I feel that there should be increased awareness of this book, although it may be banned in certain countries. Whilst it has been in circulation for several years, I only stumbled upon it recently on Amazon UK's website. It is an excellent first novel by Ms Khashoggi.
on 2 September 2000
What a story! I think Mirage is one of the best books I have ever read, a book that made me so intrigued to learn about the Arab women and what they go through,it's such an intelligent well written book, full of surprises. I recommanded it to all of my friends.
on 8 September 1999
I did not understand or ever appreciate that women today are still treated this way, and I AM A MARRIED MAN. I only wish this lady would write more, I was always finding an excuse to hide and read a bit more. WOW, the best book I have ever read.
on 6 September 1999
This book is an excellent read. Soheir Khashoggi writes with such an enormous depth of feeling and knowledge of the life of Middle Eastern women. I find it hard to believe that this treatment of women goes on in the 'civilized' 20th century. Both my husband and I devoured the book within a couple of days. I hope that the author goes on to write many more books.
on 24 August 2006
As soon as I started reading this book I just could not put it down. It is one of the great books I have read. The whole story really describe how life is in the Middle East.

The life of Amira Badir is one amazibg story. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 26 August 2009
I have read many books on this subject (arranged marriage/marriage in an islamic country -Princess/Fatwa/Sold/not without my daughter etc)

I found this a very compelling read. Amira's story of courage was amazing. I could not put this down and was on holiday and read it in one day. I thourally recommend it
on 4 January 2016
A very thought provoking book ,especially from a woman s point of view .