on 22 May 2017
Very detailed book but 5-HTP works for some but not others
on 31 December 2013
I love this supplement but my hubby hated it made him feel sick but he takes st johns wort so I suggest you check out what you take with it as it might give you happy over load , I bought this book to help explain how and why it works x
on 6 November 2014
Brilliantly written book with everything you need to know about 5HTP.
Wish I had read it a long time ago.
I have been taking 5 HTP for a couple of months now and I have really noticed a big difference in my sleep, my depression and my weight. Thank You
2 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2013
A good buy and very informative. Sometimes goes into too much detail when all you need is more basic understanding and usage instructions. Would recommend.
on 19 July 2015
Tried and tested and notice a big difference but not a full cure! I feel a better make of product would change this.
on 5 November 2015
interesting, well written
on 13 June 2009
Michael Murray explains in a simple and clear way how 5HTP supplementation can help depression, sleep and eating disorders, and for migraine. The book was easy to read as a self help book for the lay person. Recommended.
14 people found this helpful
on 23 July 2012
An informative read, but written in 1998 there is a real need for a new edition of this book (the latest is a reprint). Consequently the quoted research is old and though possibly still valid more recent studies may have been done which may be worth considering.
Current consensus seems to be that much lower doses of 5-HTP than those suggested in the book are effective. Also, recent writing recommends not taking St.John's Wort and 5-HTP together.
About the only likely side effect of taking 5-HTP mentioned in the book is gastric upset but there can be a range of others.
Also, the book focuses on users of 5-HTP in the US and an edition taking more of a World view would be good.
Definitely a book worth reading if you are considering taking 5-HTP but it may also be a good idea to look to more recent research on the internet.
5 people found this helpful
on 14 August 2013
Even though this book was written 13 years it is still relevant today. For a "lay person" it was a bit heavy going in some places but I understood what the author was saying and all the research and biology added weight to his theories.

I had quite a few "aha" moments when reading this book and have now ordered some 5-HTP and will see how it goes.
on 2 February 2015
I'm so glad I found this book. I've been using 5 HTP and St Johns Wort for 6 months under the direction of my GP, because unfortunately my GP couldn't find a pharmaceutical anti depressant which didn't give me unpleasant side effects. I have to admit that 5 HTP isn't as effective as the anti depressants I've tried in terms of completely "curing" a depressed mood, but the lack of any side effects (for me) and the fact I feel like a human being and I am still in touch with my emotions rather than feeling like they had been disconnected is preferable to pharmaceuticals. I understand from reviews I've read that some over the counter 5HTP and St Johns Wort can be poor quality or contain inconsistent doses. So I use a supplier recommended by my Osteopath, which is more expensive than the high street, but I have noticed the difference.