on 10 May 2017
Brilliant book on self-esteem. I don't think there is any other book from which I have learnt so much on this subject. The sentence completions are excellent!
on 3 January 2017
I highly recommend this book. Its a classic and an essential read. Looking after your self esteem is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.
on 27 March 2017
A leader in the field of self esteem, the author sets out ideas and conclusions that are born of years of research and writing - a work of time and experience.
Not so hot on understanding Christian spirituality, basically takes an atheist viewpoint.
on 28 October 2016
BOOK NOTES
- The higher our self esteem: the less we need to prove ourselves, we strive for higher goals, we are more ambitious.
- The more inclined we are to treat others with respect.
- The joy of life comes from being better than you were yesterday, delighting in the true joys of life, and not in comparison to others
- The joy is being who you are and not in trying to be better than someone else

THE SIX PILLARS
1. The practice of living consciously
- Being present
- Living mindfully
- Our mind is our basic tool of survival
- Self esteem is the reputation we acquire with ourselves
- Behaving with accordance with what you see and know
- Discerning between facts, interpretations, and emotions
- Being concerned to know where I am relative to my goals and projects, and whether I am succeeding or failing
- Are my actions in alignment with my purpose?
- Getting feedback and receptive to new knowledge
- Committed to lifelong learning and growth
- Use sentence stems to become more conscious and aware of your life situation
- If I were more conscious, how would I treat other people?
2. The practice of self acceptance
- Willingness to accept what you do, who you are, and what you enjoy
- It's not judging your behavior but merely accepting that your actions just are
- What is, is
- It's a matter of accepting and forgiving yourself for your unwanted behaviors
- Accepting what is, is the precondition to change
3. The practice of self responsibility
- Embrace your responsibility
- Take self responsibility for your emotional and intelectual existence
- You are responsible for the situation you are in at any given moment
- No one is coming to save you
4. The practice of self assertiveness
- Honor your wants, needs, and values and seeking appropriate forms of expression in our reality
- Leap into the game
- Express yourself
- Confront, rather than evade, the challenges of life
- Be kind and cooperate with others
5. The practice of living purposefully
- Set goals and work towards them
- Live intently
- Living purposefully involves the following four steps:
1. Taking responsibility to live purposefully
2. Identifying the actions needed to achieve one's goals
3. Monitor behavior to check to see if you are in alignment with your goals
4. Paying attention to see to the outcome of ones actions to see if they are leading to where one wants to go
- The practice of personal integrity: When your ideals and standards match- you have integrity
- Integrity means congruence

RESTORING INTEGRITY
1. Face and accept your reality
2. Seek to understand why you did what you did
3. Acknowledge explicitly to the other party what you have done and mention your understanding of the consequences
4. We take any actions to correct our behavior
5. We commit to not repeating the same thing again

- One must examine their life in order to determine if they are acting in a role that is in their best interest, questioning the assumptions and beliefs behind their actions
- If we examine our lives we will notice there is a discrepancy between integrity we practice in different situations
- The principle of reciprical causation: behaviors that generate good self esteem, are good self esteem
- Love tied to performance is not love, it is a form of manipulation

I hope you found my review helpful and if you did i'm very glad i could help.
on 28 November 2015
This book is particularly well known in the firld of self esteem and the author really understands the subject and how to improve self esteem. I did the exercises in the book, which took 7 months and doing them all again for even better results. I DEFINITELY recommend this book.
on 15 July 2015
brilliant
on 12 November 2016
Not much to add from the other reviews here. I just wish I was told to read this at school!

If you're starting your journey into personal development, this should be right at the top of your to-do list. As the author says, "self esteem is the clearest predictor of personal happiness we we have".

Learn about how self esteem affects every decision you make every single day and practical steps to improve your sense of self worth and realise your life's ambitions.
on 12 April 2017
Love it,definitely I will re-read this outstanding book
on 8 September 2007
This book can be life changing if you are prepared to put the effort into it. It is not a two week and change your life quick fix. It increases your awareness of how you live your life and how you can make small steps to change it. It is not easy to face all the things you avoid but by using this book consistently and persistently over time your life can change for the better. Highly recommended.
on 14 November 2015
3 weeks to deliver? That's a joke. It's a book not a tank. Really not happy.