Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 1998
Natalie Goldberg's book, Long Quiet Highway, is the story of her as a writer learning to cope with the solitude of life and love. She writes from her heart and truthfully tells her story about how she came into spirituality coming from a suburban home. Her story brings an awareness to writers as to how much work and dedication goes into the art, even when nothing else seems to matter. Her words are poetic and musical on the page. This book is an inspiration to all writers and other artists who feel blocked and hopeless.
on 18 December 1997
This is the spiritual journey of the author, Natalie Goldberg. Natalie goes from high school teaching, to a commune in Taos, to a Zen center in Minnesota. She learns how to write, and teach others to write. The book focuses on a relationship that develops between Natilie and her spiritual teacher, a Zen monk. Natalie questions her spirituality, as a student of Zen, a member of the Jewish faith, and a grieving writer. Her attention to minute details, her description of her spiritual dilemnas, and her grief for a man who gave her his love leave the reader with an understanding of what makes life special and worth living. I was left with an overwhelming feeling of Natalie's loss, and the illumination of what it means to be alive, and present. Natalie's prose is beautiful, that alone is worth the read.
on 9 February 1999
It would be hard to say enough good things about this book. It is absolutely frank, open, and honest. For anyone out there who has read about Zen and thinks that it seems cold, detatched, or without love, please read this book as evidence that Zen is a path to love and to truth as pure as any. Top ten all time for me, and that's placing it on my list conservatively. Thanks Nat, for the first time in my life after reading a book, I feel as if I truly have gained a friend. This book has inspired me to live more honestly, and for that I cannot be grateful enough.
on 12 July 1999
I first read Long Quiet Highway 3 years ago. It changed my life forever. Natalie offered me my first introduction to zen, which was profound enough, but it was the way in which she shared her growth that inspired me to reach beyond the world I knew then. I am eternally grateful for this book.
on 10 June 1998
Using techniques taught in Writing Down the Bones, Goldberg describes her discovery of writing as a Zen practice. Vivid descriptions of her various homes and her emotions through the events of her life, including the death of her Zen teacher - Katagiri Roshi.
on 4 December 1998
great book. There's so much to learn from Natalie and so many lines that express real life. Wonderful incite to meditation! read it!!