on 27 October 2017
This book is easy to understand and very helpful.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 August 2013
I bought this for a friend and I think she has found it helpful. I feel some of the info is very appropriate.
on 9 July 2015
Touching, reality on the circumstances.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 August 2013
Very good book. Helped me with my recent grief. Would recommend to anyone whose going through that difficult time when they have lost a loved one.
on 25 November 2012
When I first began reading this book, it struck me that there was no emotional connection between the writer and the subject - it was written from a 'bereavement specialist's point of view with absolutely no real depth of feeling put into it and I felt totally patronized by it! It appears to me that the author, who has obviously spent many years training for this type of work, and has written this book, which for me, would be more suited to those who are also training to become breavement specialists, as I did not feel the author was writing from their own experiences, just drawing on others experiences, spouting 'medical terms' at every turn and if anything for me, completely insults the reader who will be going through a very traumatic experience.
I threw this book out in the end - Do I recommend it: for those suffering a loss - No! For those studying death and bereavement - definately.
on 22 May 1999
After the murder of my daughter five years ago, I too began the search for something that would help relieve my pain. I read many books and articles and, of course, received some insight from many. After reading Dr. Rando's book I concluded that I had found the one which could serve me both as a grieving father and a professional counselor who is now involved in providing support to others.
on 31 August 1999
I lost my mother suddenly and unexpectedly. My wife lost her mother eight weeks later after a lingering illness. Of all the books we have read on grieving, this is one of the two or three most helpful. This is especially good on the differences among individuals in grieving and the fact that each person's experience will be unique. I found the sex-role discussions occasionally too stereotypical, but otherwise this accepts and addresses a very wide range of circumstances, factors and issues in the grieving process.
on 16 April 1999
ITS BEEN NEARLY A YEAR SINCE THE LOSS OF MY MOM. ITS BEEN A TOUGH ROAD, MY FIRST MAJOR LOSS. THIS BOOK HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL IN LEARNING ABOUT MANY ASPECTS OF GRIEF. FOR ME LEARNING AS MUCH ABOUT GRIEF AS POSSIBLE WAS MOST HELPFUL. TODAY THE BOOK MADE ME REALIZE HOW MUCH I MISS BEING A SON TO MY MOM. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH THE LOSS OF A DEAR LOVED ONE.
on 6 April 1999
I just read the other review & find it terribly unfair. I was given a copy of this book after the death of my son and found it very helpful. All topics concerning grief were dealt with matter of factly. As to cultural relevance, we write about what we know. I don't think Dr. Rando is saying this is the way you have to do anything. Like many things, you take what speaks to you and what you can use. It is well organized and the secions are brief. Many times you are incapable of reading long passages after dealing with a loss. It gets right to the heart of the matter. Great book.
on 26 May 1999
I also give this book instead of cards or flowers. I bought it becuase it was the only book that included my feelings when my friend/mentor passed away. No other book covered the loss of a friend. I have found it helpful for other deaths as well. It is one of those books where one sentence brightens your day.