on 14 May 2017
I meditate a lot. This book is excellent.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 June 2017
Excellent
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 July 2013
This is one of, if not the best meditation related books that I have read, and i have read many. It looks at meditation from the view of many faith groups and also outside of any adherence to a particular belief system. It's detailed and yet conveys the warmth of a true friend guiding your journey. It's a book that I feel you could read many times and still gain something new. I would be happy to recommend it. My only negative point would be that although 400+ pages, page 224 onwards is a directory listing meditation groups and retreat facilities in the USA and therefore not relevant to most European readers so ideally a European version would be good to have. However that shouldn't detract from the fact that the first half of the book is a real gem.
on 22 May 2017
Most of the book is a list of practitioners etc. I'd say only 1/4 of the book is actually a readable book. Shame.
on 3 February 2015
Disappointing. Of over 400 pages only 221 are about learning to meditate - the reminder are a directory of retreats, etc in North America. The text consists of brief passges interspersed with strange drawings and quotes from other works.
on 2 September 1998
Journey of Awakening: A Meditatior's Guidebood by Ram Dass was a complete surprise to me. I had been looking all over for a book that gave you meditation techniques rather than places to go and pay to learn meditation. This was the first such book I found. Since I found it in the New Age section of the bookstore I expected to be weeding through a lot of mumbo jumbo and new age nonsense. Instead I found it to be a very practical guide to meditation techniques.
I was also pleased to discover that it taught how to use meditation within several religious practices including Muslim, Christian and Judism as well as Eastern traditions. This makes this book appealing to persons of any faith.
At the end of the book there is a listing of places around the country where you can go if you want more instruction or group meditation. But it is not neccessary as the book is a complete guide to meditation.
on 13 July 2004
There are some books which, as soon as you pick them up, just speak to you. For me, this is one of them. From the first page the tone, the style, the content are just wonderfully understated and full of wisdom that makes me hunger for more of the life that he describes.
As a UK purchaser, the second half of the book with its directory of North American meditation centres is not that useful, but the first half is so good that this is a small quibble.
Buy, read, digest, enjoy.
on 12 June 1999
All the reviews here are right on target. This book states some HUGE truths in a very simple, elegant manner. The talk about the ego and the mind chatter echos A Course in Miracles, Hiduism, and probably many other spiritual paths. His understanding of the human mind in general and meditation in particular drips from the page. I especially like that he doesn't "sell" one particular style of meditation but gives a fair introduction to all. Many roads, same destination. A must read for both the interested and the experienced.
on 1 October 1998
I love this book. It covers meditation from the ground up. It lays the groundwork for a good meditation practice, then shows us many paths we may choose to enhanced our practice depending on our personal interests. The many well placed quotes also have led me to many other great books. Ram Dass has a wit and charm that brings a lightness to the topic.
on 16 April 1997
Ram Dass leads you on your meditation path,
as he simplifies the method for you.
Interjecting quotes from poems, scriptures,
and wise zen sayings, Ram Dass pulls from
wisdom and faith to help you along your journey.
An especially helpful chapter on learning mantras,
and the value in repeating mantras.