Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2006
Once I started reading this book I could not put it down, it is well written and also a real page turner. Alicias' story has stayed with me, and whilst reading this book I often was overcome with emotion - incredulous at how cruel people could be to one another. Some scenes of how SS men treated the families and young children were horrific, and worse was how they derived pleasure at doing truly inhumane things to innocent people. It was interesting to read about the general weakness and greed of many of the Polish and Ukraine collaberaters who even after the war, went on to murder some of the jewish survivors who returned to reclaim their old homes or businesses. Many times I found myself in tears for Alicias' plight andfor the millions of jews wiped out- she is a heroine and so brave. What struck me most that despite living through a hellish existence was how her heart did not turn black with hate, but the book overall has an incredible feeling of how love and courage can conquer, even as a child struggling to survive day by day she does not let the evil around her destroy her. An inspirational book and a reminder to us all and future generations -we should not forget-

Sonia
on 23 February 2005
This is a truly remarkable book about a remarkable woman who went through the hell that was World War II, in eastern europe.
It took Alicia 3 years to write this book; about her life, and what seemed an endless struggle to just survive another day, during the Nazi occupation of Poland and surrounding countries.
A well written book, which I assure you, you will not put down until you turn the last page.
I just wish I had read this book sooner, it was first published in '89. And it begs the question why was I never taught about this at school in history. (i am 35).
on 11 May 2017
This book is a timely reminder of the horrors that happen because of mans hostility to another. We need reminded to stop it happening again. An amazing and heartbreaking story of a young Jewish girl.
on 7 August 2012
Could not put this book down,the things Alicia witnessed and went through at such a young age are unthinkable
This sort of thing is not what I normally read but I fancied a change from the norm and I'm glad I did
After you've read the book you find yourself Googling her to see what else you can find out about her
I also found myself thinking about contacting her somehow just to let her know what i thought of her ordeal
Amazing read Amazing lady buy it READ IT.
on 29 June 2017
Arrived promptly and as described. Not the most enjoyable read, but a must for anyone who wants to learn from past atrocities
on 21 September 2017
Cannot remember anything about it!!
on 28 December 2016
I am incredulous at the most appalling cruelty of people only matched in contrast by the shear guts and loyalty and generosity of the author . Well done for recording your story so well Alicia.
on 18 April 2017
Very good I would recommend this book
on 2 March 2017
Heart wrenching. Everyone should read this to understand the heart of man.
on 20 March 2017
It was good and show the horrendous things that happened to Jewish people if was very good might have been to long