VINE VOICEon 18 March 2008
Sue Grafton's Alphabet series has been going for about 25 years now (I think 'T is for Trespass' has just been released) and I had been bought the A-J boxset for Christmas, so thought I'd start at the beginning with 'A is for Alibi'.

The story introduces the lead character, Kinsey Millhone. 32 years old, twice divorced and a private investigator. Kinsey is approached by a woman who has been wrongfully imprisoned for 8 years after being charged as guilty for the murder of her husband, a cheating, divorce lawyer who it seems everybody wanted dead. Kinsey is hired to find the truth behind his murder and also comes across another murder of a young woman who knew the victim and died in exactly the same way.

The plot is very tight, yet easy to follow.Not too many characters to confuse the reader and there's no un-neccessary plot fillers. It is just good, old fashioned crime solving that although can be dark and sinister in places, it still feels like a "comfort read" with enough humour and whitty dialogue to stop it from being very unsettling or disturbing - something that the crime fiction genre has reached it's boundries in recent years, so this is a refreshing change. As a massive fan of other female crime writers such as Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter and PJ Tracy, it was nice to read a thriller that is still quite realistic and very exciting but without the gore. Kinsey's character is instantly likeable and believable . The killer stays a mystery until the last chapter, which in this case wasn't that surprising unfortunately, maybe due to the fact that there was only a handful of people that it could have been.

Overall this is a fantastic start to the long-running series, but could be better (and I bet it will be!) and I really look forward to reading on through the rest of Kinsey's investigations.
on 23 September 2017
I'm giving it one star because my review won't be accepted with none. Did not like the main character, Kinsey. Did not like the story written in the first person because it then becomes all about her. At times I felt uncomfortable reading when she describe the looks or features of others in the book. I actually have not finished the book with about 20% left to read. I've skipped a lot of unnecessary description. Very disappointing as it was recommended by my cousin as 'brilliant'
on 7 October 2017
I did not enjoy this book at all, so much so that I did not even finish the last 10% or so. My main issue is with the protagonist (Kinsey Millhone): she is like a cut out character for a divorced, supposedly "tough" woman, and appeared to me just flat, unlikable and annoying. I found her views/descriptions of other characters quite uncomfortable, bitter and downright stupid, eg the woman, who swindled an insurance company, or the various dogs. The sex scenes are extremely cringeworthy ("he did things to me I had only read about" - seriously? After two marriages?!).
The style and plot are also very simple - you can guess almost from the start who the culprit is. Not a good read.
on 23 July 2015
Is Kinsey Milhone the new VI Warshawski or is it the other way round? Very similar leads characters.

A released convicted killer turns to Kinsey to find the real killer of her husband. The police want to charge the wife with a second killing. lots f ex-partners, ex-wives and lovers later Kinsey finds herself in a rubbish bin clutching her gun ....
on 31 March 2017
Great read
on 30 July 2017
Good read
on 18 May 2017
Good read
on 25 September 2017
Brilliant sue is a favourite
on 21 September 2012
I read C for Corpse first and enjoyed that so much I wanted to read more Sue Grafton. I had read several of her alphabet books before reading A for Alibi. It is a very good read but I think her later books are better because the characters have developed more. Every one of her books is different and has a new twist. I really looked forward to "A" because of what is written about why the author decided to write it and it didn't disappoint. A good easy read that doesn't tax the brain too much but keeps you hooked until the last page.
on 5 May 2017
have just received B for Burglar. Yes!!