on 1 September 2015
I absolutely love this book and author. I first read Twenties girl which I grew to enjoy and then love and due to reviews I decided this would be my next Kinsella read. It's great to be so engrossed in a book that you don't want to put it down. Lots of people have said it's an unrealistic story line, I don't think it's any more unrealistic than a tv drama except it's much more fun!
on 12 January 2002
In Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic, Sophie Kinsella introduced us to Becky Bloomwood, self avowed Shopaholic with a life that was out of control. In Shopaholic Abroad, Becky is back and is apparently in control of her life...or is she?
In this book, Ms. Kinsella takes us on an enjoyable look at Becky's life. She's got a good career as a television presenter, and yet, she's still shopping. Actually, Becky LIVES for shopping!
There are a few twists and turns in this book. Ms. Kinsella has done an outstanding job of writing a sequel to a book that was fun to read. You can just FEEL Becky's inability to control her urge to shop! It's almost as if you become Becky!
I found myself choked up at the end--it was an unexpected ending, but one that I found well written and surprising.
I look forward to Ms. Kinsella's next book. If it's as fun as Shopaholic and Shopaholic Abroad have been, I'll be there--Charge it please!
I rate this at 4 1/2 stars.
Marguerite Nico
January 11, 2002
on 21 August 2005
This book has the honour of being my current obsessing-over book!ie I was turning pages madly cos I couldn't wait to finish it cos it was so ace!,and when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about it. Then as soon as I finished it I was thinking about it loads until I had to read it again, when I still loved it just as much, and now I cannot wait to read the next one!
I would recommend it to every teenage+ girl, who will understand exactly who Becky is. She is totally bonkers really when you stop and think about it(heehee now i'm laughing!!)and so utterly loveable. She is who we all want to be really- gorgeous boyfriend, loads of shoes, shops loads but doesn't ever feel guilty!!Then, even though she's in a mess, she sorts it-the perfect female hero and complete idol. She's so cool!!!!!! Seriously, this book is even better than the first one, also Sophie Kinsella is a GENIUS, she writes amazingly, I'm now going to go on the search for a website so I can tell her that!!
on 1 May 2015
I love Sophie Kinsella's books. She's such a good writer and they are so easy to read. They take me away from reality and help my mind escape the stresses of everyday life. A great holiday read or just any day.
on 10 September 2001
I thoroughly enjoyed the first novel by Kinsella but although this was fairly amusing, Shopaholic Abroad did get a little tedious during the middle section, since the formats of the two novels are fairly similar. That's not to say I wouldn't reccommend it - the book is much better than some others I have read and did pass several entertaining hours. Read it if you read the first one but don't hvae expectations that are too great!
on 2 July 2014
Having read a couple of Sophie Kinsella books, I thought I'd give this Shopaholic series a go. Not being much of a shopper myself I find myself wanting to give Bex a shake but the books are filled with Ms Kinsellas usual humour and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 September 2013
This is the second book in the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.

Life just couldn't be better for our favourite shopaholic, Rebecca Bloomwood. She has paid off most of her debts, her television career is successful, and her rich boyfriend Luke is taking her to New York to live with him. Naturally, New York is everything Becky dreamed of; a magical shopping wonderland just for her, and she quickly adapts. Every television station assumes that she is a financial genius and they are even talking about a Hollywood career, the Americans assume that since she is British, she is best friends with the Royal Family and can introduce them, and best of all, American dollars are clearly not "real money", so she can spend whatever she wants for designer clothes, expensive cosmetics, and even specialised postcards she will definitely use sometime in the future. Once again Becky gets caught up in her secret dreamworld and makes a mess of her life, jeopardises her relationships, and infuriates her bank manager.

Like the first book in the series, The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 1), this is a joy to read. It is well written, well paced, and funny. Rebecca Bloomwood is a very well developed adorable and brilliantly dysfunctional character. I just love to read about all her unrealistic fantasies, the messes she gets herself into, and also the brave ways she always lands on her feet. I highly recommend getting this book, and I just had a Becky Bloomwood moment and bought all the other books in the series; it is after all an investment!

This book is also published as "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan".
on 9 March 2004
I must admit to thinking that these books would not appeal to me. But after i read the first book i was hooked, and i laughed so much everytime Becky Bloomwood did something that reminded me of me (which was quite a lot).
These books must be read, they are absolutley brilliant. Good to go with a glass of wine and a quiet night in.
on 30 April 2014
Love sophie kinsella, who has an incredible ability to bring this endearing character to life, laugh out loud moments, and really think that women can identify on some level various elements of this character, great read, puts a big smile on my face
on 6 August 2014
This book is the second in the Shopoholic series. It sees Becky Bloomwood travel to New York with her enterpuner boyfriend Luke Brandon as he expands his PR buisness to the states. Obviously readers of the firat book, Serect Dreamworld of a Shopaholic, will know of Becky's slight tendancy to over spend and lose contorl of her purse strings in the shops in the UK, but being in the States, sends her spending goes into overdrive. She has to balance her new job, her relationship with Luke, Luke's mother and her bank account.

Having read this book a few times, it never ceases to make me laugh out loud. It follows on from the first book perfectly and has little quips and annecdotes as reminders. It has an up beat and jokey character to it and is written as though you are hearing this story from a friend.

A definate girlie chit-lit read and thoroughly recommended to anyone who enjoys a good laugh and a I'll just finish this page..." book.