on 20 March 2017
I chose this book because it was about Bill Bryson in Australia and his 'politically correct' way of writing which sometimes includes a swear word or two. Before reading this book, I found myself in Australia visiting my sister and her family where she worked and lived for a couple of years. I liked the relation of some points and places written in this book with real-life events that occurred to me when I was there. I enjoy books by this author because they are so well-written and relate to subjects that interest me.
on 18 November 2014
You always know you are in safe hands with a Bill Bryson travel book. He has a way of getting to the people of a country, rather than just the things to see and do. Of course these are covered as well, but the best bits of the book always come out of the chats he has with the Australians themselves.

In this gallop round Australia Bill takes us to some very well known places as well as some that are well off the beaten track, Having been to Australia and tried to find some of these places I know how tough that can be. "A few miles from the main highway" takes on a whole new meaning in Australia. He left me with an urge to go back and see some of the places that so few people have seen they can't actually find the places again. You are left in no doubt that this is a big, big, big country.

Bill has also given me an unshakeable fear of going into the sea and makes me extremely nervous about going anywhere on land as well, but that is also the nature of Australia. There are things that can kill you just by looking at you, or so it seems. However, he also transfer his deep affection for the country and its people. Again, having been there I can tell you that not all the people are nice, but Bill makes it seem so.

Well worth a read even if you aren't going to Australia any time soon.
on 21 May 2017
I enjoyed this book because as well as being typically Bryson i.e. cynical and hilarious by turns, it is also extremely informative. It made me long to go there yet at the same time, feel that it can also be a terrifying place, full of dangerous flora and fauna.
on 22 May 2017
As always a very interesting and enjoyable read. Ideal for holiday reading and for when you just want to relax.
An interesting insight into the strange 'invisibility' of the Australian Continent and all things remarkable therein.
Bill Bryson is a comfortably compelling read, and he certainly knows how to string his wonderful sense of humour into prose, while at the same time asking of his reader the most shamefully pertinent questions.
on 12 March 2017
Bill Bryson is a very talented and witty author. He takes you the journey with him and shares all his experiences and embarrassments.
on 2 March 2017
Fabulously entertaining. A 'must read' if you're going to visit Australia - and even if you're not!!!!
on 1 April 2017
Serious in some places. A good description of the place I love most in the world. Yes once visited never forgotten.
on 22 April 2014
My husband struggled to read this book as he had a lovely 6 week trip coming up to Australia and then I attempted to read it, but to be honest it did not grip me. I know it's factual not fiction and it has some humour but I got a little bit bored with it.
on 26 March 2017
Recommend this book, full of interest and humour