on 29 August 2017
This blend of deep, detailed knowledge, subjective views and side-splitting situational anecdotes, Bill Bryson's Down Under is a must for anyone who wants to know anything about Australia.
Just read how he describes the sport of cricket or how he was chased by two dogs in the middle of Sydney and if you don't run for an incontinence pad, I will eat my virtual hat!
on 20 March 2017
I chose this book because it was about Bill Bryson in Australia and his 'politically correct' way of writing which sometimes includes a swear word or two. Before reading this book, I found myself in Australia visiting my sister and her family where she worked and lived for a couple of years. I liked the relation of some points and places written in this book with real-life events that occurred to me when I was there. I enjoy books by this author because they are so well-written and relate to subjects that interest me.
on 26 July 2017
This was the best read I've had for a long time. I have read all of Bill Bryson's books and this one was as good as the rest with lots of laughs, beautifully described countryside and an excellent insight into the country's politics and culture - and it was good to see that he didn't miss the native Australians. An excellent read right to the last page. Would highly recommend.
on 21 May 2017
I enjoyed this book because as well as being typically Bryson i.e. cynical and hilarious by turns, it is also extremely informative. It made me long to go there yet at the same time, feel that it can also be a terrifying place, full of dangerous flora and fauna.
on 22 May 2017
As always a very interesting and enjoyable read. Ideal for holiday reading and for when you just want to relax.
An interesting insight into the strange 'invisibility' of the Australian Continent and all things remarkable therein.
Bill Bryson is a comfortably compelling read, and he certainly knows how to string his wonderful sense of humour into prose, while at the same time asking of his reader the most shamefully pertinent questions.
on 12 March 2017
Bill Bryson is a very talented and witty author. He takes you the journey with him and shares all his experiences and embarrassments.
on 2 March 2017
Fabulously entertaining. A 'must read' if you're going to visit Australia - and even if you're not!!!!
on 1 April 2017
Serious in some places. A good description of the place I love most in the world. Yes once visited never forgotten.
on 30 September 2017
Bill Bryson never disappoints as far as I am concerned and this book hits the spot all the way through. Having spent quite a lot of time in Australia for both work and pleasure, I kept finding my own thoughts and observations regularly reflected in the books text.