Behind The Scenes At The Museum
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2015
A good read. I have read other books by Kate Atkinson which I really enjoyed, and this is no exception.
Well written, believable characters, and sometimes very funny. Her books always seem to have a reoccurring theme of reincarnation/parallel lives/vague time travelling etc.
Read it !!!!
on 12 September 2015
really enjoyed this book - about the life of Ruby and the 4 previous generations of her mothers side of the family. The story moves between ruby's life and her ancestors, giving depth to the characters as you read about their lives and experiences that turn them into the people they are. Well worth a read.
on 13 January 2016
As ever with Kate Atkinson it is brilliantly written but also preoccupied with death and war. The characters are lively and real and I liked the way the plot meandered through time lines. I still prefer Life After Life but did enjoy this page turner.
on 10 July 2015
Smashing. My neck of the woods and my era too. Well evoked with great characters. Deals well with distant memory and how it returns. My first Kate Atkinson book and most definitely not my last.
One person found this helpful
on 5 November 2013
I did not know what to expect when given this book to read by my book club, but was delighted to find myself hooked from very early on. Although some of the flashbacks were a little problematic when reading in Kindle format, I found the style, pace and underlying humour a real pleasure. Quite what it had to do with museums escapes me but I will certainly be reading more by this author
on 19 February 2014
I was a little bit confused when I first started reading this as the story jumps to the First and second world wars and back to the present quite often. Once I had figured out who was who, I began to thoroughly enjoy it. the characters are interesting and the story is tragic, sad and often very funny.
Well written and worth reading.
on 31 January 2018
I am loving all of Kate Atkinsons books and this is another good one.
on 22 October 2013
This is an unusual book, as it's about a rather 'ordinary' family and seems not be about anything very unusual or thrilling, but it wraps itself around you from the off and I loved reading it. Sat up till 4am with it one night as I just couldn't tear myself away. I actually missed it when it ended, and find I keep thinking about it. Loved it.
on 18 June 2018
Brilliant writing but so depressing. No joy, no hope.
on 15 August 2014
First class book once again from Kate Atkinson. Truly wonderful larger than life, of the period, characters. You can just see the house, the clothes the emotions running high. Brilliant. Wish she had written more of this type. Nostalgia, humour and sheer entertainment all rolled into one.