VINE VOICEon 25 August 2004
My friend bought this book for me to read whilst i travelled solo to the USA.As i had a 7 hour wait in NY airport, i got stuck in to this. I'm sure every Newark Airport worker and visitor at that time thought i was a stark raving English loony! This is a hilarious, tongue-in-cheek book which simultaneously made me cringe with embarrassment (yep, we Brits actually DO the things he says) whilst puffing my chest out in pride at being British! Bryson takes the reader on a tour around Britain venturing from one end of the land to the other and I really felt like i was there with him, through the strife and rain (of course). His narrative is informative (i learnt a heck of a lot about my own country...from an American! Of all people!) and comical. He introduces the reader to typical (and not-so-typical) British folk and ponders over such things as the unanswerable question of 'where have all the red telephone booths gone?'. I never realised that i had such a beautiful, diverse land for exploration on my own doorstep. A hilarious, rib-tickling book which literally did have me snorting aloud with laughter (and consequently ducking my head in embarrassment!).Great for reading whilst on your travels.It MAY make you want to come back home...
11 Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2017
Enjoying this book immensely! I just love Bill Bryson's style of writing, his description of places makes you feel that you're actually there with him. A brilliant read!
AN AMERICAN, for Christ's Sake, writing believablely, humorously, informatively sincerely; blabbering on from one subject or place about the wealth of pleasure he derives from just being there, and how he adores not only the English, but also the Scots... and even the Welsh, I tell you? The question mark is mine.
on 2 August 2017
Bill Bryson knows us better than we do. He is comical but at the same time has some serious things to say which, perhaps, those in the various positions of authority should take note of. A good easy to read and a good feeling book. Brought tears to my eyes more than once and an ache to my tummy. Good on yer.
on 14 August 2017
Not quite finished the book but not expecting the last 3rd to be any different. It seems that every town and city visited is a blot on the landscape and the author seems to be constantly congratulating himself that his own village is still perfect.
on 24 August 2016
plenty of laughs a good read
on 18 June 2017
Replacement of our original which had been loaned to a friend but never returned!!
on 16 March 2017
Brilliant! Loved every minute of it, so much so that I have have bought 2 further copies for friends birthday gifts. I have also bought the previous book called The Road to Little Dribbling which I hope will be as entertaining.
on 20 October 2015
Im new to Bill Bryson but now have most of his books on my wish list.... This one was so funny in places... so embarrassingly funny.... yes we are like that as a nation .... I loved it
on 13 June 2017