Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 29 November 1998
Tim Pears has produced a sigh of joy in his masterly control of time and tone. We are not astonished to find that the assured tones of the narrator belong to a 10-year old girl - nor that these poetic reminiscences are in fact closer to our time than the telling lets us believe. What Pears does with time is imaginative, and takes us to a "great now of yesterday" with little feeling that we have been taken back in time - so skilfully has Pears's prose,and art, effaced linear time at all. One more pleat, one more fold has been opened to our view, and we wonder again at the power of the novel to reveal afresh, a wonder in a way of seeing - Pears leaves the novel, and us, with new life.
on 21 May 2014
Wonderful description of deepest Devon where real human values existed, seen through the eyes of an adolescent girl in the period when her future was being systematically destroyed by the Thatcher government. Her innocence of the world outside of her village home and the importance of farm and community is brilliantly portrayed. I loved it!
on 13 June 2000
A gentle, lyrical work, perhaps a little precious on occasions. Set in rural Devonshire in the recent past - and I can remember the political background and the hot weather. A very good bedtime book and one which reads well aloud.
on 31 March 2013
This was the first Tim Pears novel that I had read. It was slow to start but I found it captivating and compelling. I have just read it for the second time having read it 10 years earlier and also read several of his other novels. A really talented writer.
on 31 January 2013
A book you live in/with and I read it slower and slower because I didn't want to finish it, I didn't want the summer I was sharing to end. This book engages all your senses in a way that a film never could. Long live reading !
on 17 May 2010
The long, hot days of summer in the countryside-childhood revisited. Didn't want this book to end as so evocative of my own summers but in different years and a different county. Brilliant, completely in tune with nature.
on 10 October 2015
Very descriptive and evocative of country and family life on a Devon farm in the nineties, a decade with good memories for me before technology totally ruled the world!
on 27 February 2013
an unusualand captivating piece of writing
I am finding it hard to put down
thoroughly recommend this one for those who like a really good read
on 6 September 2014
Slow but beautifully written - a book that needs time, then is deeply satisfying portrait of English rural life
on 24 November 1999
This is quite simply one of the most memorable books I have ever read. It is beatifully balanced and takes you right to the centre of the live of the main charater Alison.
You will have to stick with it for the first few chapters, but it will be a great reward when you do.