1,928
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 May 2017
Recommend to anyone who loves the freedom.that the sea gives you,not to judge other s without hearing both sides of what has happened. I love the description of the island of Janis the portrayal if how life was with only two And then three living there virtually in each other's pockets.

This book.made me both cry and laugh st the same time I wish you well.with this book.this is on my kindle and I can already feel the need that I will be reading it again

Thanks M
on 26 March 2017
I don't write very good reviews but can say that I enjoyed reading this, the story unfolds and is a page turner, but as it gets to its close it does not go how you'd like it to or how you think it's going to go and when I real see this I couldn't help but skim read it to the end just to say I had finished it.
on 12 January 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was different without a doubt, I kept thinking of it throughout the day and felt at times a bit emotional when I read it. Definitely a good buy, not my normal genre but enjoyable
on 6 July 2013
It took me a while to get into this book as, apart from the introduction at the beginning of the book, the discovery of the boat and baby were not introduced fully into the story until page 85, but stick with it because when it does get going it is an emotional rollercoaster.

Set in the 1920s, the first part of the book was set around Tom's experiences during the war and his meeting with Isabel before he was stationed as Lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, a tiny island of only one square mile, 100 miles from the mainland. Great detail was given about how the lighthouse worked and Tom's duties there, but I would have liked to read more about how Izzy, as a young wife, coped with life on such a desolate island, with no other inhabitants and with the supply boat arriving only once every three months. I can't even imagine going food shopping just four times a year! Although they grew vegetables and kept a few animals and chickens on the island, I would have like to learn how she managed to rustle up and endless supply of cakes and biscuits and coped with a young baby's needs, presumably all without any electricity or other mod cons.

Several reviewers have talked about the moral issues of the book but, in the final part of the book when the truth comes out, I found my sympathy jumping from one character to another in quick succession and really couldn't condemn Tom and Isabel for their actions. I can't imagine any mother could read it without feeling compassion.

The book is written in the third person style, allowing for the story to concentrate of the different characters, but for me a minor irritation was the fact that it kept jumping from the past tense to the present tense. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book though and would certainly recommend it.
on 3 March 2017
This book is a reminder of all the wonders of love for a partner, parent or child with all the intensity that evokes. Beautifully and thoughtfully written.
on 25 December 2016
I can't put into words,what a wonderful written book. I loved it from start to finish,and I cried,and I felt I was there with them every step of the way
on 1 February 2017
Slow. Boring. Predictable. Could have been a lot more. Can't understand what all the hype was about.
on 8 April 2017
Started off the first chapter thinking this book would be too simple. But the deeper layers soon revealed themselves. This book was beautifully written and really got under my skin. Felt quite sick with anxiety as the moral dilemma played out. Thinking about the book days after I finished reading it.
on 3 March 2017
I'm Struggling to get into the story
on 8 March 2017
Wonderful story and characters. Can picture it all. How sad,but wonderful too. Enjoyed the characters and storylines. Can just imagine it happening.