on 4 June 2013
Both on TV and in print Al-Khalili has the knack of making difficult ideas comprehensible to the average viewer or reader. I particularly liked his treatment of the the Shrodinger's cat thought experiment. A lot of other accounts, but not Al-Khalili's, seem to miss the basic point that Shrodinger was not arguing that the cat was dead and alive at the same time, but presenting a 'reductio ad absurdum' of the interpretation of quantum theory which would have led to this conclusion.
on 23 March 2013
I do like his style of explaining things, and have enjoyed his documentaries (particularly "everything and nothing"). So having read a few pages of the kindle sample, I bought the whole lot and it has a been a stimulating brain teasing page turner. I do love apparently-paradoxical puzzles, and Jim Al Khalili presents us witty a range from the simplest to the most mind bending.
on 30 July 2016
I don't get it... if there is an infinite number of universes, why haven't we been buried under an infinite number of time travellers?
If the latest babblings of theoretical physicists make your' head hurt, DONT PANIC! Uncle Jim will sort it out... Or not. Fantastic book, still confused.
on 13 August 2016
Jim Al-Khalili deals with some difficult topics with an easy style so the reader is not intimidated by the sheer complexity of the subject. I enjoyed the chapters on time travel and quantum mechanics. I'm not sure everything he deals with are strictly speaking paradoxes. But then, what do I know? I'm not going to argue with a man of his intellect!
on 19 January 2016
This is an entertaining excursion through the fields of quantum mechanics, relativity and simple deceptive logic to explore and explain mind blowing theories in a simple and understandable way.
on 26 April 2017
Jim, as always, a great read. A joy.
on 6 April 2017
I don't pretend to understand everything in this book but I managed to find enough to stimulate my brain a little. Well worth the read.
on 7 March 2018
It is believed by many that watching Rick and Morty raises an individuals IQ, but upon reading this book your IQ will double if not triple and as a result of this you will be able to actually CREATE your own Rick and Morty episodes.
on 26 March 2015
I found his explanations of each paradox too long. It would have been better if he had used more 'paradoxes' with shorter explanations. He strays too far from the subject, so it gets rather boring at times. I struggled to finish the book. The topic of Schroedinger's Cat has been covered so much in other books - he could have left that one out.
on 20 September 2017
A good read. Fascinating content. If you're interested in science and contradictions you will probably enjoy this!