Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2016
In this sequel to Chocolat, Vianne Rocher returns, after eight years in Paris, to the small, French village of Lansquenet, to where she has been recalled by a voice from the past, informing her that someone there needs her help. We meet again many of the former residents, but also a more recent community of Muslim families, whose presence is threatening the peace and harmony of the village, not all of whom welcome the newcomers.

I consider Joanne Harris one of our finest novelists ever, who manages to introduce so seamlessly elements of the bizarre and the occult into a story of present-day conflict, worry, doubt and love as few others can. With her usual charm and talent she entertains us, while at times keeping us on the edge of our seat in suspense. However, I was just a little disappointed at the denouement.
on 6 June 2017
This book was bought as a present, so far the reader has found it a good and interesting read.
on 31 May 2013
I enjoyed this book immensely . The usual high class writing of Joanne Harris. Interesting story with some familiar characters returning and lots of new ones . She has certainly done her homework for the storyline.
A smell of peaches , spices and chocolate with sunshine and flowers seeps from the pages.
Definitely a must for her fans .
Can't wait for the follow up !
on 19 March 2017
a charming book. full of the delightful twists & turns one expects from the author.
on 26 June 2017
I read all Joanne Harris novels that involve food, so clever. I am completely captivated by the story and for a short time I am living in France with her characters. This really is a great read.
on 9 April 2017
Too slow. Doesn't seem to have much to keep you reading, although her description of the characters and setting is very well written.
I may not read to the end which is not a good recommendation?
on 12 July 2014
Ok
on 10 December 2013
Another brilliant read by Joanne Harris can't wait o read the next in the seris, Chocolate 4 with the continuing sarga of Vianne Rocher
on 20 July 2012
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (Chocolat 3)

I pick this book up with great expectations but they were not fulfilled. It was OK but not great like "Chocolate 1".
The return to the small French town was fine and the new division between local and Muslims immigrants well worked.
The main faults were in the fact that it was too long for the plot and there was a lot of padding exemplified by the continuous musing and some repetition because the story was told from two viewpoints. However, the ideas and writting were excellent and I ploughed on through to the end and was glad that I did.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2016
Topical issues, easy to read,