Customer reviews

The Moral Landscape
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2017
I remember arguing about the truth of moral principles in my first year of a philosophy degree and being left floundering. Studying ethics to one degree or another over the following three years turned me into a moral relativist and I too have towed the line ever since even though I believe in being a moral person. This book and it's simple argument against relativism is exactly what we need. It is plainly obvious that if we take morality as a human construct to help us treat each other better then we can make true and false claims about it and verify when one attempt fails and another succeeds. This is a tremendous book by one of the most cogent thinkers of our time.
on 26 September 2017
Fantastic book with wide ranging implications. A thrilling critique of cultural relativism and brilliantly highlights role Science can play in improving society. Not merely by improving technology but by providing the basis to our morals. A MUST READ!
on 17 August 2017
Neuroscience and Philosophy, fascinating new ideas for me, takes a while to read
on 14 August 2017
Really good!
on 24 February 2015
An enlightening and thought provoking read arguing the point that science can improve our quality of life through human values, an important and engaging book that unfortunately I fear will not be read by the people who need to read it. (Good layout, lots of references in the back of the book explaining deeper into certain aspects).
on 15 March 2015
Sound transaction. Everything went well
on 6 April 2014
I was disappointed. The prospect of science measured morality would seem as callous as any ideology dealing out justice and fairness etc on one hand and in equal measure injustice. Humanity is too complicated for one size fits all of any type. I believe as long as there is flexibility in whatever system exists, we can inch our way forwards with minor adjustments towards utopia, although we will never get there because wisdom is always overtaken by ignorance. It's a fact of life that as soon as you know everything you need to know, you die. No one ever knows what they need to know before any event, they can only experiment. Look to human nature for the repeated behaviours. Some young people do not want to participate in voting. We could go back to dictatorships in this country if their naievety about democracy has any effect.

The book was academic to the point of boredom and silliness. I usually finish any book just to check there are no hidden gems, but this time I did myself a favour about two thirds of the way through and skimmed the rest. There wen't any hidden gems, but there was loads of evidence.
on 27 April 2015
The book itself, good, but the print quality is pretty bad. No, not all paperback books are like this. His other book of his I bought, was also paperback but of a much better quality print wise.
on 24 January 2011
There is no more important debate. How do we decide what is right and wrong?

Most of the answers we hear are worthless (ranging from "just do it because my holy book says so" to the moral relativists who wont even condemn female genital mutilation).

Sam Harris makes the case for a sane alternative...

Morality is an evolved human attribute. It is universal - everyone with a normal brain has it. We all know instinctively what is good (love, kindness, compassion...) and what is evil (hatred, cruelty, violence...).

Understanding this basis for morality has a priceless reward - we can expect to arrive at a consensus. There is an objective morality because we are all human. And we can discover the details by studying the human mind. Evolutionary psychology - not a religious text - is the route to enlightenment.

If our civilisation survives this century it will be because we have learnt how to judge moral issues. This book is an excellent primer. Please read it.
77 Comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2015