Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2017
Waste of money. I have enjoyed many J Trollope books but this one was of no interest at all. Really boring
on 6 June 2009
This is the first Joanna Trollope novel I have read and I found it very enjoyable. I got the book to take on holiday and to be honest, wasn't sure what to expect as I felt the cover lets it down slightly but I was pleasantly surprised and got in to the book very easily. It's a light hearted novel about a group of friends and how events in their lives shape them. The descriptions of places in London also drew me to the story as I have been to some of the places and was able to picture them whilst reading.

If you are looking for something enjoyable, easy to read, without looking for the deeper meaning in life then this is the book for you!
on 19 April 2008
How I wish I'd read Amazon readers' reviews of this novel before buying it. For weeks I've been forcing myself to 'give it another go' but time after time I've failed to become engrossed in the characters' lives. Such a disappointment from one of my favourite authors.
on 7 February 2010
The maxim write about what you know holds good for published writers as much as for the great unpublished masses. This novel wears its research extremely heavily. The central premise of this group meeting up and being friends just does not ring true. The DJ and football themes are just cringe inducing. I imagine that Ms Trollope is not a massive music fan if she thinks it likely that someone would passionately want to be a DJ and would have to have a genre of music suggested to them by someone else.
I would heartily concurr with an earlier reviewer about the football scenes demonstrating all that is wrong with the Premiership football experience. Perhaps the author thought all football match attendees sit down for a three course lunch during the match because that was her experience? What would the boy have done if he went to see a lower division team following his first experience - asked when the prawn sandwiches and cakes were coming round no doubt.
The characters, if not exactly one dimensional are just not very engaging. The children are too knowing and self aware. The parents have that mixture of marytrdom and smugness that seems novelistic shorthand for middle class parents. The character of Jackson is just plain creepy. I kept expecting that he would be uncovered as having a history of an interest in women with children for a sinister reason. If you were wondering if you should finish it - don't.
on 2 September 2012
I have read(or attempted to read) three Joanna Trollope novels & I have found them all totally pointless. One of them, I didn't even finish but I did make the effort to read all of "Friday Nights".
At the end of it I was left wondering why I had wasted my time with a storyline that was boring & meandered along for far too long.
Would not recommend this author & I fail to see why others rate her so highly.
on 15 July 2009
This book seems slow to start - but then it's not really going very far. I found it difficult to care about any of the characters or their situations and the narrative seemed very disjointed as it jumped from one character and their goings-on to another.

Until about three-quarters of the way through the book I found the characters unmemorable and had to really cast around to find out who they were each time they appeared.

The Friday Nights of the title did not seem to figure as centrally as I had expected. Indeed most of the progress in the narrative took place away from the Friday Nights - but then maybe that was the point.

All in all I was somewhat disappointed as I have thoroughly enjoyed all Joanna Trollope's previous books. Somehow, for me, this just did not take off, so proved to be a frustrating read.
on 11 March 2008
I am a fan of Joanna Trollope but this book is a huge disappointment. The characters remained one dimensional, were not at all credible or engaging. It was obvious that aspects of the book had been 'researched' to the hilt, but it lacked both plot and cohesion. Lazy writing from such an accomplished author.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2009
I've not read Joanna Trollope before but saw this in one of those '3 for 2' offers in the local bookstore and thought I'd give her a go, the synopsis sounded quite good and I thought it would be a good easy read. I was wrong!

I've been wading through it for ages now, wanting to finish it but struggling to find any decent plots, and at times I have struggled to understand which character is which. The story isn't engaging and nothing seems to be happening, the writing style is so difficult to read!

I'm half way through and am torn between giving up and carrying on in the hope it will improve. I won't be buying a Joanna Trollope again!
on 14 February 2009
Have read quite a few Joanna Trollope books before, so thought I would try this one. Am about halfway through, and not sure if I can be bothered to finish it. It is just so boring, and I'm not sure I care enough to want to know if it improves! I heard an author on the radio this morning saying that a bad novel is one with no depth and no story,and this sums it up perfectly. I guess Joanna wanted to get away from the stereotype of being known for "aga sagas", but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
on 22 March 2013
Read many of Joanna Trollope's books and enjoyed them all, but i couldnt really get into Friday Nights. I have seen The Soldiers Wife and that does not interest me to read. However i would buy other new books that Joanna may write.