on 3 August 2017
very funny and well written.
on 20 August 2017
Brilliant
on 4 March 2017
Very funny!
on 8 March 2017
I loved this new way of delivering history. My French and German friends also found it fascinating.
on 7 December 2016
We found this a very interesting read. There some facts we haven't got from other books and it is quite amusing.
on 28 July 2017
Utterly enjoyable and full of wit. Never has history been so digestible and entertaining. A real treasure.
on 27 May 2017
Genuinely Hysterical. Could do with some citations though.
on 11 December 2014
bought as a present. they love it
VINE VOICEon 8 February 2008
Mr O'Farrell's political underpinnings come through distinctly in this engaging and mildly entertaining skimming of British (and by his own admission mainly English) history. Is it accurate? I don't know. The whole reason I read it is because I didn't do much history during my education, save for the narrow threads that make the standard curriculum. If you're not a Daily Mail reader you will be able to put up with the occasional self indulgent political views and the general coverage will give you many talking points to impress the regulars down the pub (and I dare say answer a few more pub quiz questions). The book also draws many parallels between historic injustices and how in many ways, we really haven't made much of a move forward.
on 19 May 2008
As a former university history student, I have to say that I knew shockingly little about the times of Ancient and post- Cromwellian Britain. Most history books I read were so dry and, frankly, dull, that I felt my head hitting the page after the first lines of the introduction. This book is totally different, and all the better for it. From reading this book, the author has made British history flow from one dynasty to the next so that you are compelled to turn the page. OK, so it might not be a true historians critique of our past, but it's one that is easily relatable. Running through the narrative is a wonderfully sarcastic wit, which not only serves to make the book more pleasurable to read but also reminds us of our true murky past, should we think that Britains history is one of stiff- upper- lipped honour and decency from start to finish. Each monarch is scrutinised for what they really were, from Elizabeth I and what really caused the defeat of the Spanish Armada (bad weather!) to the puritanical despotism of Cronwell's rule, despite being seen nowadays as almost a national hero, having a statue in pride of place outside Westminster.

I would recommend this book to anyone, as a funny, witty, and informative guide to British History. If you're new to History or just want to refresh your memory or expand your knowledge, this book is well worth a read. It'll make you laugh too, which is always a plus!
11 Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse