Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2008
The sharing of information.. Ben Elton really touches on subjects here that seem to be happening all around us right now. Why do people think we want to see the trash that is given to us on T.V. these days. What is so fascinating about other peoples lives? Is nothing sacred?
A different and imaginitive book. Ben Elton manages to create thought provoking work from subjects close to our hearts and from everyday life, pure genius.
on 1 September 2009
I lambasted Ben Elton's last book Chart Throb and I thought First Casualty wasn't anywhere as good as it was hyped up to be but I have to say I enjoyed this one. I still think the writing is not as good as I remember before (but perhaps I have become more critical as I have got older - I have been reading his books since they came out all those years ago). It's not a bad story and although it might draw parallels to 1984 it isn't in that league whatsoever (but make sure you read 1984 a brilliant book). It's a look at where we might be heading, or perhaps we have already got there - all sounds a bit familiar and the blind faith bit did amuse me in a US TV Evangelist way.

I see Ben Elton nowadays as a more political version of Tom Sharpe - generally good yarns but ultimately unmemorable.
on 22 November 2010
Unspeakable, fatuous, lazy drivel designed to make its author some ill gotten dosh by poorly observing and wildly exaggerating a few contemporary social mores. Would appeal to Guardian readers who's only purpose in life is to be smarter than tabloid readers. Britain has turned into a nation of Baldricks. They smell, they are stupid, they have emotions and they are working class. Worst of all, they have rejected reason, science and the rule of law. Unforunately, there is nothing in contemporary society that suggests that opposition to global warming, vaccines or democracy had anything to with social class.

Does Ben not like Muslims ? No, he really despises Muslims. A lot. Nothing irrational, emotional or self serving about that. He criticised the BBC for not allowing the lampooning of Islam. He does it here. Contemptuously. Blind faith, get it ? Blind preudice more like.
on 22 June 2015
Good holiday read.
on 4 March 2008
The whole book bangs on about 'dumbing down' - yet all Elton has produced is '1984 Lite' for people with Attention Defecit Disorder.

Read the real thing.
on 15 April 2008
I can't believe some of you reviewers. So pompous and high-brow! This is black comedy PULP fiction, it's not Shakespeare!

Reading it in one sitting I would equate it to a one-minute rollercoaster ride of terror and fun. Or perhaps "The Life of Brian" derailed for the MyTube generation.

I agree that it is not Ben Elton's best, but it is extremely funny. Sadly funny in places. The characters are meant to be detestable, disgusting, uninteresting. We are not meant to care about them at all. We are meant to care about the fact that they are all so blind and whether Trafford, the hero who we should care a little about, can succeed in his mission.

Even the torture scenes had me laughing, although gloryifyingly graphic (Pulp Fiction style) and made me feel both hateful towards and pitiful of the blind faithful mob screaming "Oh Yeah!" as the blood flowed. People seem to have forgotten that the only 'entertainment' for the masses in medieval Europe was exactly this type of thing - the Church Elders burning heretics and witches.

I think this is a highly visual book, and perhaps Mr Elton would have done better writing it as a film script as he would then more likely have reached the heaving, sweating mass of flesh that it satires - the dumbed-down mob who will likely never read it anyway. They would at least go see the film, but would they get the message...?

Someone said this is like the dumbed-down sequel to Dawkin's "The God Delusion" and I could not agree more. They should be read one after the other to get the full impact!
on 16 October 2016
Great writer
on 26 March 2010
Bought second hand while on holiday as was desparate for something to read for a long haul flight, glad I grabbed this! Bizzare yet very creative and imaginative, good vision of what our future could become. A little disappointed with the ending which was a bit too violent and graphic for my taste.
on 16 August 2010
I loved Blind Faith, it seems so spot on and terrifying at the same time. I think everyone who uses facebook / Twitter / myspace excessively should read this and think hard! (Everyone who doesn't use these should enjoy feeling smug!)
on 6 July 2010
I loved Elton in the 80s... then he sold out and I hated him... then I read this book and it is my favourite book in the whole world. I still have no respect for sell-out Ben but this book is excellent. A must read for everyone!