on 2 March 2017
A beautiful book. Definitely recommend everyone to read it.
on 24 August 2017
I loved every page of this book. So many great quotes, observations on humanity and images...I just didn't want it to end. In fact, the only thing I didn't like was the relative sudden-ness of the last few chapters. However, the great quotes from the characters and narrator were there right to the (very!) end which somehow compensated.

A superb story, written in a unique and fascinating way. I'm going right back to the beginning to re-read it!
on 23 April 2017
Oh what a wonderful book. It was recommended by a friend and is amazing. Truly beautiful, read it.... Just read it.....
on 19 April 2017
The book is thought provoking and should be read by all.Worth talking about with others that have read it. Good book
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 July 2011
The Book Thief is one of those delightful finds that captures your imagination from the very first page and leaves you deep in thought long after you've closed the back cover for the final time.

So many people I know have raved about this book, calling it a `must read', that I had to find out for myself just what all the fuss was about.

Set against a back drop of Hitler's Nazi Germany, this book reminds you that despite the way history paints the WWII. There are good people and bad people in every situation. And not everyone in Germany supported the war.

Narrated by the very colourful Death, the characters are all vividly painted, so that your conscience will make best friends with them and you'll wish you knew them for real.

The story, although under the oppressive backdrop of war, never makes you fret or worry, and even when bad things threaten, the narrator gently navigates you through so that you're not left feeling too anxious or upset.

This is the sort of book the restores your faith in humanity and leaves you feeling uplifted, even when it makes you shed a tear.
on 5 March 2017
Very unusual treatment of a fairly familiar story (1930s - 1940s Germany/Nazi Germany/2nd World War). First person narration by Death himself. Witty, engaging, engrossing and lyrical. Very much enjoyed and highly recommended.
on 16 July 2013
Let me tell you, this is a fantastic book. You may not get my exact reaction to it - as the poet said "I read it, I fell over, my world changed" but I really recommend it to you. I seriously started thinking it was an autobiography and for a 30 year old man to channel an aged woman, war survivor? Well, lets just say he is on my permanent reading list. I just wish his titles were all on Kindle!

This is a gentle book in a way, mostly in the first person (with a guest brief commentary from death) then you start realising that the emotional background just uppercuts you right in the central lobes. Amazing. Sad and happy, roller-coaster and contemplative. Just WOW.
on 22 March 2017
Good, easy read
on 16 September 2014
What a book!
I found it hard at the beginning but then couldn't put it down for long. The paperback was given as a present but I needed it on my kindle so I could read it more easily & on my phone when I had the opportunity. A different way of narrating a story. I was shopping & saw the DVD of The Book Thief so I will now watch it with interest as to how it is portrayed on the screen.
I would recommend this book. A tear jurker at times! Happy reading.
on 25 June 2016
Excellent read, I read the book after watching the film. Both good.