on 2 March 2017
A beautiful book. Definitely recommend everyone to read it.
on 23 April 2017
Oh what a wonderful book. It was recommended by a friend and is amazing. Truly beautiful, read it.... Just read it.....
on 19 April 2017
The book is thought provoking and should be read by all.Worth talking about with others that have read it. Good book
on 5 March 2017
Very unusual treatment of a fairly familiar story (1930s - 1940s Germany/Nazi Germany/2nd World War). First person narration by Death himself. Witty, engaging, engrossing and lyrical. Very much enjoyed and highly recommended.
on 16 July 2013
Let me tell you, this is a fantastic book. You may not get my exact reaction to it - as the poet said "I read it, I fell over, my world changed" but I really recommend it to you. I seriously started thinking it was an autobiography and for a 30 year old man to channel an aged woman, war survivor? Well, lets just say he is on my permanent reading list. I just wish his titles were all on Kindle!

This is a gentle book in a way, mostly in the first person (with a guest brief commentary from death) then you start realising that the emotional background just uppercuts you right in the central lobes. Amazing. Sad and happy, roller-coaster and contemplative. Just WOW.
on 22 March 2017
Good, easy read
on 16 September 2014
What a book!
I found it hard at the beginning but then couldn't put it down for long. The paperback was given as a present but I needed it on my kindle so I could read it more easily & on my phone when I had the opportunity. A different way of narrating a story. I was shopping & saw the DVD of The Book Thief so I will now watch it with interest as to how it is portrayed on the screen.
I would recommend this book. A tear jurker at times! Happy reading.
on 25 June 2016
Excellent read, I read the book after watching the film. Both good.
on 10 April 2017
Great to step back in history to find heroes in many guises.
Five star on many levels.
Suspense, joy, grief, happiness, generosity.
on 6 July 2017
The ending kind of tidied up this book.Something that was much needed.It is a hodge podge of a story with rambling undertones that is short on empathy and often dull.However if you endure you might enjoy it I did but only just