on 6 July 2014
I am reading this via kindle on my iPad. Not used to reading this way and it is affecting how I think of this book. Interesting story and the 'narrator' is certainly different. But I am struggling with it. Probably would think more favourably if I had an old fashioned book!
on 14 April 2014
An incredibly narrated book; it is beautifully written and so creatively descriptive. Forever to be cherished: it had made me laugh and cry.
I love the way Markus Zusak makes you fall in love with the characters and so originally emulates Nazi Germany.
A must read.
on 12 May 2014
The book was a good read but sadly *spoiler alert* it was impossible to read Max's journal on a kindle as it is replicated as a graphic which was far too small. Spoiled the book completely as you feel you have missed something really quite vital. Read in print not kindle.
on 21 April 2014
Amazing book which will be one of my top ten ever. So beautifully written, heart wrenching but impossible to put down. I will recommend this book to all my family and friends and it will stay with me the same as 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' has. Cannot praise highly enough.
on 11 April 2014
Loved this book. The story is told from such a different angle to what most of us are used to that makes the story original and unique, although the subject is something we all recognise immediately. A page turner I couldn't put down until I finished it. Highly recommend it
on 20 September 2007
I read a lot of books, and have always judged their quality by how fast I read them. To me, a good book was obviously the one that I couldn't put down and finished in one sitting. That was before I found The Book Thief. As soon as I started reading I fell in love, with the characters and the narration, and realised that, quite simply, I did not want this book to end. So instead of reading it as fast as I could I started reading only a few pages as night, savouring every page and every word. This book needs to be enjoyed slowly, it cannot be read at a fast pace or you will miss the subtle brilliance and the heartbreaking story contained within its pages.

In a year that has been domminated by Harry Potter and other such stories, The Book Thief stands alone. A story that can be enjoyed by anyone, a story that will make you think, will make you feel, will make you cry, and will make you wish it would never end.
on 10 February 2015
I tried to read this book three times. Twice I gave up after a few short pages. This time I persevered. I feel like Death - I almost cheated myself of something enormous. I haven't the language to express my satisfaction at this book - I wish I was only starting the story.
on 29 April 2014
Will remember this book for a long time. Although about the Nazi period, it aproaches it in such an original way. Characters are believable and I even began to like the narrator - Death ! Definitely worth a read. Imagine the film will be a disappointment when I see it.
on 29 April 2014
Everyone should read this book. It is absolutely superb. At times it made me laugh out loud but also very, very sad at other times. It was incredibly moving and the characters were so believable. I cannot recommend this highly enough and it is a book I will read again.
on 11 April 2014
This is one of the best books I have ever read. I found the first few pages a bit strange, but once I got into it I understood why it had started in that way. Extremely well written. It's narrative gives an unusual perspective on life and death during the Second World War.