Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2017
Considering he's the protagonist, Jackson Brodie is a very passive character in all his books. Things happen to and around him, he doesn't make things happen and as such he's not a vital component of the books, which is strange.

Case Histories was good, if heavily reliant on coincidences. One Good Turn was dreadful, with dull characters, overly-detailed turgid prose and a dull plot, and heavily reliant on coincidences. This one is just as poor, and heavily reliant on coincidences. Louise Monroe is an increasingly unlikable character. Is she depressed or just a malcontent? Reggie is unbelievable as a 16-year-old and Brodie is thwarted by a sheep, gets on the wrong train and lays in bed, his usual passive self.

The endless, relentless quotations and literary asides don't demonstrate the characters' well-read minds, it's just the author showing off. Once or twice is effective; every single page is ridiculous.

I had 80 pages left, I knew I'd finish it during my morning commute and didn't want to carry two books, so I left it at home and started a new book. I'll get round to finishing it at the weekend. That's how little an investment I had in this book. I still have Took my Dog on my bookshelf, will not be in a rush to start it.
on 17 May 2017
I enjoyed reading this book but it did lose me in the first few chapters when going into background histories of the characters. It stopped the narrative flow of the story.
When the story got back to what was happening in the present it was a good read. Good individual voices of the characters and great interlinking stories to bring the characters together.
I would recommend this book although I would say you have to keep reading it past the background stories.
on 21 May 2017
A great read. Gripping plot, marvellous characters and some of the best dialogue I've read in ages. Compelling , funny and sad in all the right places. This novel rips along
on 25 July 2017
The plot is satisfyingly complex, resolved with admirable skill, and has a delicious twist in the end. The writing is skilful and witty. My only quibble is that there are so many seemingly disparate characters to set up, the first part of the story can feel slow. However, once it got going I struggled to put it down.
on 8 August 2017
Kate Atkinson is such a good writer and the Brodie series uses all her abilities to the full. Brodie is one of the most sympathetic charactors ever devised - the perfect gum shoe, tough, tender and on the side of the angels.Can't wait for the next in the series.
on 30 March 2017
This author has a different tone to anyone else I have read. I like her characters, her humour and her stories.
on 10 October 2015
A fascinating story, combining a murder mystery with thoughtful insight into human nature. Exciting throughout. The main characters are cleverly drawn. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 4 September 2017
as ever kate Atkinson keeps you glued to the book.
on 13 October 2015
A fascinating tangled web of murder and mayhem. Mystery within mysteries. A strange assortment of characters with a myriad of intentions. An exciting read.
on 20 June 2017
Didn't expect spine to be broken (actually broken in half). But otherwise ok.