Wonder
Format: Paperback|Change

I loved this book. Especially from August's POV. He has such a sweet and original voice, and as a reader I could understand the trauma and the things he goes through. August is a very sensitive boy too, but he's also smart and emotional. The theme is just brilliant and gives insights to how mean kids can be. Friendship is another theme and how important it is. August has a lovely family, (parents, sister and dog). His 'situation' and his face is a sometimes too big a theme, and the author goes into too much detail sometimes, like when we hear the sister's POV and I do't think that's really needed, we know Olivia loves August, and that she's a great and caring sister. She doesn't have to evolve her life around him all the time. I liked the part when Olivia remembers the time with her grandmother, which makes the story about her, I also like the part when she gets a BF. It shows more character, and that she does things that a teen girl would do.

I like the different POVs in the story, and the voices are distinct and original, which is very hard to get right, but the author does it so brilliantly. Although a few odd words here and there that I don't think a 10-year-old would use, but it only occurs very little.

Overall, this is a nice story that I think every child needs to read because it gives insight into so many important themes. I read the book with my 7-year-old son and he loved it, and wanted to hear the story only from August's POV. I'd like to read this book again, because of the characters.
review image
on 25 May 2017
Written from the perspective of various characters, Wonder was a fab read. It's story of how one child can change the perceptions of children and adults for the positive was uplifting.
on 11 August 2014
My daughters review:
Wonder is the type of book that made me constantly go 'aww' and have tears welling in my eyes. It follows the story of ten year old, August, who was born with a disorder that makes him unlike everyone else. August has had to deal with people staring at his appearance ever since he could remember, whether they were in the street, at home, his sisters friends or even professionals. He's always had to hide himself away because there were people constantly doing a double take to stare at him once again. It definitely doesn't help that his parents protected him so much and homeschooled him, so he was unaware of friends and the harsh truth of everyday life. So when they make the drastic change to send August to a normal school, August feels his heart breaking with anxiety and worry. Before he knows it he is shoved into a school where there are bullies, friends and jerks. Although August finds some friends along the way, people are still not getting used to him. And August feels like he has to hide away for ever.

This book was beautifully compelling. I love the structure of the book, too. It adds a definite twists to the plot of the story, as you read everyones perspectives on August and find out what everyone else is feeling compared to his usual fear of socialising. It also adds a new feel to the book when you're reading the backstory of his sister and how she is tossed aside for August as you're gradually building up on everyones view on August and how people see people. There are chapters in the perspective of friends also which allows you to understand whats going on behind August's back when he's joining this school and thinking everything is really working out for him.

The plot overall, was definitely a shocker to me. I knew that August had a facial disorder which meant his appearance was altered slightly, however I never thought it involved all the heartache and uplifting that this book offers. There is a mixture of fights, truth, upset, heartache and even death at one point, which are all struggles of someone whose growing up, but even worse for someone whose different to everyone else. Its enchanting to read how August copes with it all and how strong he is when someone calls him names, and it definitely tripped my emotions whenever someone was harsh or offensive. The ending also had a great thriving feeling to it, and it made me feel really happy. All of my emotions spilled out at one point because I felt like I was emotionally connected with August.

R.J Palacio has definitely worked well to build her characters. They're fleshy enough to make you grasp valid opinions as well as having enough back story and detail to make you connect with them emotionally. Also, I found that the alternating perspective also allowed you to re-evaluate the story, which as a really nice touch. Honestly, I felt very sorry for August in this book and felt like crying alongside him as well as punching everyone who had upset him and R.J Palacio has beautifully presented the feelings of bullying, insecurities as well as harsh disorders.

I'd recommend this story to anyone, really. Any age, any gender. I feel like sensitive people would find the emotional connection powerful but I also feel like people who aren't connective to characters at all would still sympathise with August and all of the other characters. I feel like this book is going to go in the direction of The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time because it has that same sort of feel, although being different. Absolutely loved it!
on 15 January 2018
The author of this book is R.J. Palacio. She writes young fiction and has written many other books. Some are based on this story but are not famous. 'Wonder' is R.J. Palacio's first novel.

First of all, August was not like any other kid because he did not have everything that you would need on a face. Also, he did not go to school until the age of ten. When he started school, he only had two friends, Jack and Summer. In school, he had a fight with one of his best friends, Jack. It started when it was Halloween and August was meant to be coming in as Boba Fett and he changed his mind at the last minute and came as Bleeding Scream instead. He heard Jack say that he was a freak and that is what started the first fight. Then August needed hearing aids. The second fight happened like this: Jack and August were partners for a science project and then at the end of class, Julian asked if he and Jack could be together but Jack did not want to. Julian accused him of wanting to be with the 'freak' instead.

The thing I liked about the book is how R.J. Palacio structure the story: August had no friends at the beginning and at the end he had a whole bunch.

I would rate this book 10 out of 10. I would recommend it to people who like some bits of a story to be happy and funny but other bits sad. I would also recommend it to children who are nine or ten years old.

Written by Zhennuo Wang, aged 9.
on 15 March 2018
I don't know how I read the last few pages of the book because I was crying so much. I bought it because my twelve year old grand daughter was reading it at school and when she was staying with us we went together to see the film. A long time after this, I decided to buy and read the book and found it incredibly uplifting, well written humorous and sweet. Who couldn't live Augie or his family or Jack Will. Just wonderful. So pleased I read it. It lived up to every fabulous review I have read about the book. "Shall we make a new rule of life ..... Always be a little kinder than necessary.". So moving. " Sometimes you don't have to mean to hurt someone to hurt someone . ". So many truths in a little book. A great story for every pre teen and every adult to reflect on. I loved it very much. Awesome.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 February 2013
This is the most thought provoking and touching book I have read in ages and the story will stay in my mind for a long while. It is beautifully and simply written and so believable it could certainly be a true story. After "Googling" Auggie's condition so I could find out more about it and to picture how he would look, I realised the reactions of those in the story are probably very true to life.

The moral of the story is about kindness, because it is a sad fact of life that a lot of humans (both adults and children) feel uncomfortable around people with disabilities or deformities and go to great lengths to either avoid them altogether or else make cruel and spiteful jibes. If children were made to read and discuss this book at school as part of their coursework, it would be an excellent lesson in humility, understanding and kindness - far more important in life than Shakespeare!
on 15 November 2017
What a wonderful book (No pun intended). I whizzed through this in a couple of days but please don't be fooled into thinking it is a shallow book. Really leaves you thinking about how we treat each other. There are so many well thought out characters - Auggie's Sister seems like a realistic but caring teen. His Dad has one of the most touching scenes of a book I have read, when he urges Auggie to be without his helmet as he loves his face. There's not a mum in the land wouldn't feel emotional along with Auggie's Mum when he starts school. I wish I had read this yonks ago but for some reason I just thought it would be too childish - It so isn't.
on 31 March 2018
I cried so many times reading this. Laughed too. My husband kept asking “what on Earth are you reading” ( words to that effect) it’s simply beautiful, holds so many messages, so many lessons. I’m a counsellor and I’ve pointed a few clients in the direction of this book ( by leaving it on my desk) and they’ve come back to me delighted with it also. My 10 year old granddaughter is reading it atm, and I bought the simpler version for my little grandson. He loves that too. The DVD came in 26/3 - I pre-ordered it, and we have a day put aside over Easter holidays to watch it. I can’t imagine the film is as good as the book, but hope the message stays the same. We ARE all wonders
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2018
Absolutely loved this book. It makes you think about how people with different looks cope with the real world and the way so called "normal " people treat them. When that person is still a small child then it really hits home how hard it must be for them to cope with everyday situations. Well written and has many emotional moments but don't be put off by that as it is the bones of the story. Brilliant read.
on 26 September 2016
This is supposedly for kids or teenagers but i recommend that people of all ages read Wonder. I'm a man in my sixties and as such can sometimes have a somewhat cynical view of the world. Please suspend any cynicism when you read this book and just go with it, you will be richly rewarded. R J Palacio has created a marvelous character in "Auggie" the main protagonist and managed to get in touch with the way kids think on the inside and behave in front of their peers and adults. The story is delightful and uplifting without being overly saccharine. It has also just been made into a film with the marvelous Jacob Tremblay (Room) playing Auggie.