Customer reviews

1,734
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2017
The book follows Auggie, a boy with a 'deformed' face through his first year at middle school, having never been to school previously. It is uplifting and hopeful because it shows that sometimes people do see the goodness and truth within. I would however have liked to know more about the story of Julian, the boy who bullies Auggie and what provoked his reaction.
on 25 May 2017
Written from the perspective of various characters, Wonder was a fab read. It's story of how one child can change the perceptions of children and adults for the positive was uplifting.
on 10 February 2013
This is the most thought provoking and touching book I have read in ages and the story will stay in my mind for a long while. It is beautifully and simply written and so believable it could certainly be a true story. After "Googling" Auggie's condition so I could find out more about it and to picture how he would look, I realised the reactions of those in the story are probably very true to life.

The moral of the story is about kindness, because it is a sad fact of life that a lot of humans (both adults and children) feel uncomfortable around people with disabilities or deformities and go to great lengths to either avoid them altogether or else make cruel and spiteful jibes. If children were made to read and discuss this book at school as part of their coursework, it would be an excellent lesson in humility, understanding and kindness - far more important in life than Shakespeare!
on 22 July 2017
I think this should be a must read for preteens and early teens. My sons Year 6 class had it for their class read, but my son couldn't wait for them to finish the book in class so bought the book with his own money, and then asked me to read it as well. We've chatted lots about it, and we're so glad to have read the Auggie stories afterwards as well.
on 8 April 2014
This book was recommended to me by my 10yr old Grandson and my daughter.I did not want to put it down.It is written to show the different views of different characters.I loved the main character and just how strong he was.He made me want to meet him.I dont know if R.J.Palacio has first hand knowledge of such a character but it was certainly very very well written.A couple of poignant moments where a tissue is needed this just adds to the tale.
on 31 May 2017
Everyone should read this amazing story... I love how the characters, including Auggie himself, give their perspectives on life with his disfigurement and the moral as described by Mr Tushman quoting J M Barrie is that "we should always try to be a little kinder than necessary." Love this book... Hope the new film coming out soon does it justice 👍
on 7 March 2017
I bought this book but haven't read it yet after my friend recommended it to me while reading it on a long train journey. She said the story is a poignant one and really touches you deeply. Can't wait to start reading it...
on 13 July 2017
I laughed and I have cried while reading this book and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait till the movie comes out this year in November. Best book ever loved everything about it.
on 4 June 2017
Middle school is not easy. It is even more difficult for August, a home-schooled boy who has had over 20 operations on his face. As August leaves his parents' protection and faces the rest of the world at his new school, he goes through many challenges.

Lovely story about kindness and resilience.
on 25 July 2017
Warm, touching to point of being heart wrenching at the end. Should be compulsory reading for all school kids to teach empathy