Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2017
Excellent set of books great for both young and old. Very pleased
on 24 March 2017
Great read
This is the second book in the trilogy The Books of Beginning by John Stephens and I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as the first as some sequels can be a bit of a let down but thankfully this wasn't the case with The Fire Chronicle and once I had got back into the storyline (been over a year since the first book) I couldn't put the book down.

The book picks up nearly 8 months after the first book, once again following the three siblings, Kate now 15, Michael soon to be 13 and Emma now 12. The children are back at the orphanage having been returned there for their own safety following the events of the first book however it's not long before the Screechers (Morum Cadi - Deathless Warriors) come looking for them. Kate uses the power of The Emerald Atlas to try to whisk one of the Screechers away from her brother and sister into the past and subsequently ends up stuck there herself. And so the story takes on two separate adventures for the children with them being split up; Kate stuck in the past and Michael and Emma whisked to safety at the last minute by Dr Stanislaus Pym. The book alternates between following what is happening to Kate and following what is happening to Michael and Emma and both routes of the story are jam packed with action and very interesting new information about The Dire Magnus. Kate is concentrating on trying to get back to the present and her siblings but with The Emerald Atlas she took with her into the past disappearing shortly after she gets there (as two copies of the book can not be present in the same time frame) she has a struggle on her hands to find a way to time travel without The Atlas. Michael, Emma and Dr Stanislous Pym are concentrating their efforts on finding the second book of beginning (The Fire Chronicle aka book of life) before The Dire Magnus does and also desperately hoping that Kate manages to find a way back to them. A few new characters appear in this book such as The Elves of the South Pole and Rafe and one of my favourite characters from the first book Gabriel Kitigna Tessouat of the Anishinaabe also makes a reappearance. Michael has a much bigger role in this book than the first and whilst I didn't particularly like him in the first book, with him having a bigger part in this book I got to actually like his character.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish and quite honestly could not put it down. The author (John Stephens) has wrote a book that will not only appeal to the children's/teen market but I think will also appeal to the adult's among us who still enjoy reading this genre of books. This book is a bit darker than the first in my opinion and there were not as many 'laugh out loud' parts as the first but given the gravity of the children's situations I can understand why and as there was so much going on I didn't miss the humor quite so much. I do think that you need to read the first book in order to understand whats going on in this book and I did struggle for a bit to catch up with having read the first book so long ago. I can't wait for the final book in the trilogy and shall be reading it as soon as I can.

on 26 November 2012
THE EMERALD ATLAS was a fresh, exciting fantasy adventure that was full to bursting with suspense, action and mystery! I have been waiting for AGES for its sequel, THE FIRE CHRONICLE, and now I have finally read it! Well, it was definitely worth the wait! It was just as good, if not better, than THE EMERALD ATLAS, with awe-inspiring action and cleverly written adventure. It has quite a slow start, and takes a while to get into, but if you stick with it, it gets truly epic!

Kate, Michael and Emma have been taken back to their previous orphanage, and are very disgruntled about the arrangement. However, the Screechers (slaves of the Dire Magnus) find them eventually, and Kate is taken back in time! Emma and Michael must embark on a dangerous adventure to find her, whilst Kate must deal with her own problems. Their destinies are about to be fulfilled...

As you may have gathered from reading that, you do have to know the first book to understand this. The storyline was very intelligent and was possibly the best part of the book. It was thrilling, chilling and comical in a lot of places. It was funnier than the first book and provided more insight into the characters, particularly Michael. You actually don't get to see much of Emma here, but I'm sure in the third and final installment of this magnificent trilogy, she'll be more central. Sometimes you do find yourself wanting to get back to Kate's story instead of Michael and Emma's, and visa versa, but as the chapters go on, you really start to love the adventures the characters take on. The ending was fantastic, memorable and reminded by of HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE in some ways. There were some quite deep and emotional moments as well, which added a nice touch. I'm going to be in AGONY waiting for book 3! I can't wait! 10/10 for sure!
on 26 July 2015
Some of the children in my class read this book, it is book two in the series. They enjoyed it but some of the content (dangerous situations, characters being injured) would be more suitable for a confident reader in upper KS2 (Year 5 + 6) but saying that, I have very able readers in Year 4 who enjoyed the adventure aspect of it. You need to read Book 1 first (be aware - a character is injured by an arrow) in order to follow the characters.
on 14 November 2012
Even though I'm an adult know I still enjoy reading kids books especially fantasy and this book I couldn't put down.

Not to give anything away but in this book we learn more about the Dire Magnus and who exactly he is.

I think this book is better than the first book as there is a lot more action in it that makes it hard to put down.
on 13 March 2013
The Fire Chronicle was amazing, didn't think it could get better than The Emerald Atlas, but it was. So full of adventures and excitement right to the end, everyone who likes dwarfs elves, gnomes and magicians should get a hold of these books, brilliant story please hurry with the next book and let me know when it is out.
on 28 December 2012
Read this following the first book in the trilogy. The characters are more developed and the plot faster moving. Really enjoyed the books. These are children's books but a god read if you stole your kids Harry Potter books :-)
on 2 January 2013
I thought this book was amazing, it makes me so excited for the next book, I don't know how he comes up with these great ideas, I would definitely recommend this book!!!!