Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2012
I have read most of Terry Pratchett's books and the one constant throughout them has been the fantastic characterisation and humour within these books. I have always preferred the Discworld books due to the fact that the characters grow throughout the series. If you are already a Discworld fan and are thinking of buying this book, then I would absolutely recommend it. Yes, it is not a Discworld book, but the characters are so well portrayed and the situations that occur are so well described, then it may as well be a Discworld book, but without the Discworld! If you are new to Pratchett then I would also recommend this book as a good way of seeing what he is capable of. If you enjoy a well-written story with humour, then this should be a definite purchase.
on 4 October 2012
The introduction of Paul Kidby's illustrations highlighted something which I had not noticed before and that is the gradual "victorianising" of both Discworld and of Sir Terry's other books. I first noticed this in Monstrous Regiment with the cover illustration and the textual description of the uniforms especially devised for woman soldiers (bustles and all). I next saw this in Going Postal where Miss Crippslock's costume is straight out of a late Victorian fashion plate. This is something which Paul Kidby has picked up and reflected in his illustrations to the later books and "The Art of Discworld". "Nation" is set in a world which is close to but not exactly mid 19th century and with "Dodger" we go straight into the real thing - or as real as it can be for someone writing in the 21st century. OK so its not a grimy as it could have been (but its pretty close), Sir Josphe Bazalgette isn't the hero - although I don't agree that he was made to seem ineffectual or weak as someone has claimed elsewhere in these reviews. Its a great story, it reads well and it rattles along at a good pace with a few chuckles and the occasional laugh as you go. The plot is a bit too neatly tied up for my liking - hence the four stars - but its as good as a good discworld and maybe a little better than most.
on 8 April 2017
I wasn't sure if I'd like a "non-Discworld" Terry Pratchett book, but I went for this and wasn't disappointed! His typical sense of humour and his great style of writing makes it a very enjoyable read. I'd recommend!
on 25 October 2013
Although this is a departure from the Discworld series, there's still a definite "Disc" feeling to it. It sets off at a cracking pace and roars it's way through early Victorian London taking in a number of sights, not to mention a glut of characters, real and otherwise. I loved this and so did my 11 year old daughter, who is studying The Victorians in school and found it much easier to get into than any of Mr Charlies' books. Whilst being a work of fiction, the settings and atmosphere are accurate and true and I for one am relieved not to be living in Seven Dials during the 1800s. Thank you Mr Pratchett, brilliant as always.
on 11 March 2017
A bit different to other Terry Pratchett books I've read, a brilliant story incorporating effortless wit with a touch of Steampunk, you can smell the sewers on every page. Read it in one sitting and hungry for more.
on 26 June 2017
Another delightful Trip into TP's marvoulous imagination. Weaving his magic into each of our souls. Where oh where will we play next?
on 17 March 2017
good book x
on 25 February 2015
Perfect! :) Bought as a gift for a friend at Christmas and it's excellent. Highly recommended.
on 16 August 2015
The first time I've read Pratchett (shock/horror!) but probably not the last. I enjoyed the historical references as much as the plot though, if not more.
on 13 December 2013
I found this a likable book maybe not on a par with Sir Tel at his best but not bad and nowhere near as dire as the latest Discworld novel