Customer reviews

Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2017
What a great climax to a tail linking ancient Egypt to a hypothetical Victorian England.

Great interplay between three strong characters linked through all the books
on 11 June 2017
Captivating follow up and ending to the trilogy. Well developed storyline with momentum and depth of ideas. Not just another adventure!
on 7 July 2017
The last of the Bartimaeus Sequence, all of which I immensely enjoyed reading.
on 14 June 2015
I love the imaginative story line and the great way Stroud tells it. He writes in a funny, light and rhythmic way.
I really wish he would continue Bartimaeus' adventures for a long time!
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2005
Having immensely enjoyed The Amulet of Samarkand and Golem's Eye, the first and second books of this most unusual trilogy, I had high expectations for this final chapter. I am pleased to say that I haven't been disappointed. Ptolemy's Gate is by far the best in the series and must go down as Stroud's finest work to date.
The novel is both engaging and exciting. Stroud's moves the focus of the storyline from Nathaniel to Kitty to Bartimaeus in flawless fashion. His employment of the first-person style of story telling from Bartimaeus to the more usual narrative when featuring Kitty or Nathaniel adds a dimension to this series that you'll rarely find in the work of others.
I won't ruin the plot by describing the action here - you'll have to buy the book if you want to know what happens. Suffice it is to say that Stroud beautifully ties up all the strings left dangling in Golem's Eye; and he does so most satisfactorily. You'll wind up caring for each of the three main characters and wondering whether Mister Mandrake is the magician, or whether the real wizard is Stroud himself.
Trouble is, I am now left wanting much more of Bartimaeus. Can we have some more, please, Mister Stroud?
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2007
I wasn't that impressed with the first two books in this trilogy but wanted to find out how it all ended so bought the final volume. Boy was I in for a surprise! This final book eclipses the others and makes for an exciting and rollicking read. I couldn't put it down until finished!

I'm glad I decided not to let the first two volumes put me off because the last book is fantastic. The final story has more emotion than the others and you get a feeling of really coming to know the chief protagonists, what drives them and what they are capable of. There is tension, thrilling adventure, suspense, humour and pathos all rolled in here to make the journey to the end an exciting one.

Buy this book and you won't be disappointed as you join Nathaniel, Kitty and the one and only Bartimaeus on their final, thrilling adventure!
on 29 October 2005
In his first two books, Stroud, like many other children's writers, falls into the trap of being overly patronising, preaching morals at the reader. However, this third book exceeded all my expectations. In Ptolemy's Gate, Stroud expects intelligence and emotional understanding from the reader, rather than preaching, he allows you to work things out for yourself.
I was gripped from the beginning to the end, my flatmates couldn't understand why I was getting so excited over a kid's book! I'm 20, but started reading these books after buying them for my 10 year old cousin. With my father also rapidly becoming a convert, I'd highly recommend them to any age group!
Bartimaeus, is, as ever, one of the best written and entertaining characters I've ever come across in fiction - one of the nicest aspects of this book is how much more you learn about him - the focus shifts away from Nathaniel and onto everyone's favourite djinni, leading to some wonderfully well-written, thought provoking and touching scenes as we see into his past and his developing relationship with the present-day humans.
As already mentioned by other reviewers, the ending isn't entirely unexpected, it is nevertheless extremely touching and a very fitting ending to the trilogy.
Stroud is an exceptional children's author and deserves to be known as such. I'm sure we'd all love to see much more of Bartimaeus :)
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2005
I loved The Amulet of Samarkand but I found Golem's Eye really tedious and slow. After enjoying this final chapter so much I can only think of it as a sagging middle. Perhaps I would like it better if I read it again. But I won't right now.

Golem's Eye has a faster story with bigger ideas and loads of plot developments to keep you turning the pages. Before you know it you will have covered half the book already.

Nathaniel has risen to quite a high place in the Government despite being only 17, the now 18-year-old Kitty has gone underground after faking her death and now lives as barmaid and personal assistant to a disabled magician and Bartimaeus has been kept in constant service to Nathaniel for so long that he's as weak as a newborn kitten.

The British Government is still full of back-stabbers and power-hungry madmen with their own agenda (why do I believe that so easily?) and here Stroud once more laces the story with subtexts of dictatorship, terrorism/freedom fighters and extreme corruption that eventually manifests itself in any self-serving society. He did this in Golem's Eye but it comes through a bit more subtle this time.

What also bugged about Golem's Eye was the sudden change in Nathaniel from being a sympathetic character to almost a despicable villain that you can't root for. I wasn't sure where Stroud would go with this in Ptolemy's Gate but let me just say that by the end, Nathaniel totally redeems himself. I don't want to ruin the ending but it was a shock and very sudden and leaves you wanting more. But that's the way perfect endings go.

I was most impressed with Ptolemy's Gate. It's miles better than Golem's Eye and well up to the standards of the first book. Harry Potter has some serious competition and his name is Bartimaeus.
on 23 November 2005
This is perhaps the best book in the trilogy. Ptolemys gate is set three years after the events in the previous book 'Golems Eye'. In the book we find nathaniel (now 17 and one of the major influences over the Prime Minister) along with the other main Government figures trying to deal with both wars from all directions- France, Belgium etc... - As well as the disorder in London, commoners are starting to get restless and a few have started speaking out. Meanwhile kitty is still in hiding, believed to be dead. She is now working for an elderly magician but has devised a plan to free England from the magicians grasp. On the other hand bartimaeus is growing weaker, he has been in nathaniel's service non-stop for two years and is desperately trying to return home to 'the other place'. The book also tells us about bartimaeus' past(this tells us about ptolemy the boy whom bartimaeus frequently uses as his disguise).
Overall this book is engaging and fast paced throughout although it may look long you will wish there was more to read, The ending however was the perfect way to conclude the trilogy and I recommend you buy it.
10/10.