Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2012
PROS-

A Lovely story as always with Paolini
A good rich set of characters old and new
Beautifully written
More of the wonderful World of Algaesia which I believe will be seen in future books.

CONS-

It felt like he had used a thesaurus. I know he has matured in style since Eragon, but long words arent always better, especially when they dont quite fit, and I felt he had gone out of his way to use "long/clever" words unnecessarily. This didnt interfere with his beautifully descriptive writing style though.
It took a while to get to the excitement of the story. A few early chapters may not be crucial to the story.
After reading four long books I was invested in the characters, especially the main few, and I couldnt wait to see how their relationships with each other, and their journies would end. I feel I have been left hanging somewhat, although in fairness that may just be because Paolini didnt end their journies where I had hoped.

IN CONCLUSION

If you have read, and enjoyed, the other three books you will enjoy this one. It may take a bit if getting in to and it may not end as you hope but that doesnt take away from the fact that Paolini has written another beautiful book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
on 24 November 2011
First of all.. NO SPOILERS!!!

Positives

1) Christopher Paolini has a certain style of writing which is unique.. it is well detailed, enrapturing and flowing.

2)In general I felt this book lived up to standards of the previous books in the series.. better infact. A lot of books do not always tie up all the loose ends. The fact that this book did pleasantly surprised me. A few examples - Sloan in Du Weldenvarden(does he recieve his eyesight?), The Menoa tree (Eragon owed the Menoa tree for taking the brightsteel for his sword Brisingr), Birgit (Roran caused the death of her husband in book one and she wanted revenge - I forgot about this!). This is one of the single most reasons why I am satisfied with the book. You may or may not like the ending but at least it addresses all of the unfinished business.

3) Another satisfactory point addressed in this book is that in general, books tend to end with or shortly after 'the final battle'(whatever the outcome may be). In Inheritance the final battle ends and there are a good few chapters of the aftermath.. what happens, unrest, happiness, businesses etc.

4) I am thoroughly happy with what Eragon and Saphira found in Vroenguard in the Vault of souls (was not expecting that!!! Readers you will know what I am talking about). Also the Eldunari make things more realistic in terms of power to the Varden.

5) The 'final battle' was appropriate.. Galbatorix afterall has serious power for a reason. The way in which Eragon fights back is fitting.

Negatives

1) It can be frustrating when a particular exciting chapter in Eragons life is left dangling with anticipation and is then followed by a chapter in Roran's life. But to be fair, this is because the storyline is so good you just want to find out what happens next. All about the suspense!!! Also, some people may find the lengthy descriptions tedious but I find its the right amount.

2) Romantics - sorry but you will be dissapointed severely in this book. We hear nothing about Arya for 1000s of pages and this outcome was a seriously under... no words to describe. In its own way, it has its own special meaning but if we are being honest I expected more!! Also, nothing blossoms with Nasuada.. COME ON! Personally this was the singlemost negative in this whole book. COME ON!

3) Very final ending is a little sad.

All in all however I have to rate this book 5 stars. It is very good storytelling and more!! Such a justified 'final battle' and the Vault of Souls on Vroenguard was unexpected. Well done Mr. Paolini.
on 18 January 2015
What a brilliant finale. Still left you wanting more as not all questions answered, very clever! All books flowed to next one seamlessly, but each could be read on own as brief update given at beginning and during book.
on 3 May 2017
A good read
on 1 April 2017
What can I say? This is such a unique, incredible book; the character's personalities, actions and thoughts are so detailed. I love this book - and the whole series - so much and I can't wait for the next one to come out! ( there better be a next one!)
on 2 July 2017
A fantastic read and culmination of the series.
on 11 July 2017
good
on 12 March 2017
If you enjoy nature, dragons, magic, brilliant storytelling that does not waver you will love these books. Epic legends always
on 13 April 2017
Got around to adding to my previous books at last.
on 20 July 2017
Excellent read really enjoyed the series. I have now passed the books on to family members to read thank you for capturing my mind and taking me on this incredible journey