Customer reviews

on 25 June 2009
Divorce is never an easy event for children, particularly not those of dual nationality.

Without Looking Back, told from is Louis' perspective. The mixed emotions over which parent he'd prefer to live with, living with a large secret day in, day out are dealt with well over the story. It is broken up with light, amusing moments that happen with most siblings.

It doesn't end as I'd expected, but I was happy with the ending. I would have liked to have seen more regarding the search for the children, and perhaps more desperation in their father's actions. At two points the father's character seemed a little odd;he uses the words darling and love, which seem very strange coming from a man. I've normally experienced them from a female point of view.

Other than these points, Without Looking Back is a good exploration into what happens when a parent abducts their own children during a custody battle.
on 12 May 2009
This book, I think, is aimed at slightly younger readers than others by Tabitha Suzuma, but it still holds action and suspense well so that an older reader can enjoy it. The topic is something that I've actually always wondered about - everytime I see a missing poster with someone's face on it, I wonder how they'd feel if they themelves saw it one day - would they be shocked? Would it make them go home? This book shows one side of that, and I found the reactions of Louis and his brother and sister interesting, as they were not what I would have expected.
Strangely, I found myself not being too angry at the father - although what he did was completely wrong, I tend to believe that fathers often get a raw deal with their children after divorce. However, the reason for the separation seemed to be an affair he'd had, although apart from a few mentions from the children, we never learn any more about this to understand what fully happened. The children's feelings towards the mother were understandable, as it was their father who stayed at home with them while the mother went off to work - a good role-reversal which I feel was important in this story.
One of the biggest surprises for me was the ending of this book. It wasn't at all what I had imagined, and I like that. Louis was a fantastic character, who made very hard decisions, and the ending left me wanting to know a lot more...
Although I did prefer some of the previous books by this author, possibly because of the older characters and audience it was aimed at, this was a thought-provoking read that I didn't want to put down and therefore read in two evenings!!! Definitely one that I would recommend.
on 13 June 2009
Children whose parents have separated and are in the middle of a dispute for custody.
A far too common cliche nowadays.
The heart broken children, who are pushed into making a decision ,as to which parent to favour.
In her book, the writer choses a young boy to convey all these negative feelings, in the hope it will help other children in the same situation to identify with him, and may be make them feel they are not a failure or responsible for their parents's break up.
I recommend it to anybody, not just children, as it might encourage adults to think deeper about the situation if they split up.
on 6 August 2009
I really liked 'A Note of Madness' so I thought I'd try this. At first I was pretty disappointed that it seemed to be for younger kids, but the story soon draws you in and keeps you reading. I don't usually like books with lead characters who are male as I prefer reading about girls and female thoughts and emotions, but Louis is an interesting person and you start to care about him a lot as you follow him through the story. I enjoyed this novel a lot more than i thought I would.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse