Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2017
I am six years old and I enjoyed this book so much. I am pleased that Lucy Hawking has written others. I like this one because George helps Eric when he gets stuck in something.
on 26 June 2017
Very interesting book!
on 15 July 2015
Written for children and bought for my grand daughters but I read it first. Wonderful stuff: I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 10 March 2017
Bought for a young friend who seems to enjoy it greatly.
on 19 July 2017
Great book whether you are an adult or child.
on 5 October 2008
I picked this book up to read as part of a Book Chain I was doing as an illustration for pupils in a P4-7 Class(Scotland) and enjoyed this very much. The pace of the story is fast and there are wonderful fact boxes and photographs of space phenomena like comets, planets and all sorts of spacey things! There's also a great Poster of the Solar System. What a novel way to introduce learning about Space!
on 2 November 2007
My son, who has just turned 8, literally devoured this book from cover to cover in the space of about a week during his half term holiday. This might not be amazing to some people but he has never before read a story book himself, having the attention span of a gnat, he usually prefers information books and comics. So I was delighted when he chose this book for himself and every night he went to bed to read the next exciting chapter of this book. This book obviously ticked all the right boxes for him, enough of a story to keep the characters alive, with a great smattering of facts and figures about space, the universe, planets etc and lots of other things to capture the imagination of a fact-hungry 8 year old !
33 Comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2010
My 9 year old is very resistant to books - although a good reader he'd rather be on the computer! - but this book grabbed his attention right from the start. The story was simple but well constructed and full of interesting details with delightful characters that my son, who has mild ASD, could understand. The eponymous hero is bright and curious, constantly asking questions (just like my boy!) and all his questions are answered clearly, concisely and simply, without talking down to him.

Since reading the book, and it's follow on volume, my son now has enormous enthusiasm for information about the universe and our place in it and also seems to have begun to understand that the motivation of characters in books and people in real life should be deciphered not just from their exact words but also from their intonation, past behaviour and subsequent actions.

At the age of three he asked me "What is above the sky?" and now someone has been able to explain both the universe and the nature of friendship to him. I really can't praise this book enough!! Thank you, Lucy!
on 2 June 2017
The favourite fiction book of my 10 year old granddaughter..... we read together... and have read many of the age appropriate 'recommended reads' and this is by far the best.... an understandable text... amusing in parts... tension and great ending.... accompanied by facts about the universe and informative diagrams and photographs.
on 4 October 2008
My 11 year old son had never really enjoyed a book since he outgrew Horrid Henry. He kept asking for George's Secret Key to the Universe, I think mainly because it has his name in the title. We were convinced he'd never get through it but finally caved in and bought it and he absolutely loved it. When we went to say good night to him he always had more exciting facts for us. We're now struggling to find another book he'll read as enthusiastically!