Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 26 May 2017
This is a magnificent adventure from start to finish. To give an idea how engrossed I was in this world, I finished the 5 books in this series and the follow up “The Mallorean” series of 5 books over two weeks. It’s been a while since I have been that engaged in a series.The series is a bit more old school Good vs Evil coming of age fantasy rather than the more modern and grim series we have these days, but it provides a refreshing and amazing change. This book and series really is simple and not as deep as some series, but that does not prevent it from being an amazing book.

This initial book is somewhat slower in its pace as we are introduced to the primary character of this and the subsequent mallorean series in the form of Garion. In this book we see Garion grow up and evolve as one may expect, but unlike other series, he is still fairly young, even by the end of the series so we see some vulnerability and he is not a know it all king and relies on plenty of other people. He has plenty of boyish traits yet we do see him evolve in a realistic way rather than being someone who kicks a ball one day then turns in to the best king the land has ever see the next.

The supporting characters likewise are very likable and play just a crucial role as Garion and involved just as much. Some of them evolve through the book and series and others are a constant which works very well.
The world itself is detailed very well and easily imaginable, but unlike other books, does not go over the top with description to merely pad out the details. The various groups of people and their behaviours likewise are also fleshed out very well and seeing the friction between said groups adds more depth.

The fights and battles, while not the best I have read are still enjoyable and simple to follow. The magic system is also fairly simple on the surface and while not absolutely original still adds a nice element.

In all this is a bit more of an old school coming of age adventure. It’s not as nitty or gritty and as dark as more recent titles but that’s okay as it has its own charm. This book does start a bit slow, but really it needs to as it lays the foundation for the characters to build and evolve from. So while the rest of the books get 5 stars, this gets a solid 4.
on 22 November 2016
Brilliant just brilliant and nothing like any other books of this kind, which is refreshing
The boy acts like a boy not a mini adult as in HP.
on 29 May 2017
One of the best fantasy books / series of all time. The characters are great fun and bring the day to day sdventure to a high fantasy story.
on 30 March 2017
From the very 1st page this book grips your attention and leaves you wanting more when you reach the end
This is the fourth time of reading and I find I still love these books'
on 3 May 2015
I stumbled across this series by accident about 10 years ago, and I was hooked after the first page. I have read it multiple times and it always pulls me back in, there is excitement, adventure and magic as well as the underlying human stories. David Eddings weaves a compelling story that never grows dull. Read it - you won't be sorry you did!
on 13 January 2013
This is one of my favorite easy comfort feel good reads, when I need cheering up and i don't want to think to hard. I have no idea how many times i have read this series
fantastic fantasy with a real sense of style great series
on 5 June 2017
Captivating story beautifully written. Can't wait for the next part and further development of the story. I can't put it down
on 2 November 2016
I chose this rating as it is a simply great book!
It is very mysterious but very interesting. It takes a while to get started but otherwise I highly recommend.
on 2 May 2017
I read these to relax. I wish i could read them for the first time again but re-reading them is pretty good.