Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2015
I read this aloud with my 8 year old son, and honestly we loved every minute. I had to stop reading so many times due to fits of the giggles from both myself and my son! Having already read many of Pratchett's books for adults, I had picked up a copy of 'Dragons at Crumbling Castle' for my son. He thought it was brilliant, but I didn't love it to be honest. He wanted to read more books by this author, and when I read the reviews on this series, I just had to give it a go. We will definitely continue with this trilogy. Pratchett's writing is more accessible for children in this book than in his adult books, which is to be expected, but having said that he never 'dumbs down' his writing. My son has occassionally asked what a word, or sometimes a phrase, has meant and I think Pratchett strikes a balance between writing for children whilst perhaps increasing their vocabulary and understanding. I loved that we are watching the nomes world evolve around them, and at times this has led to some interesting discussions. Absolutely brilliant.
on 14 May 2017
brilliant book the first time and second,but then all the his books are brilliant i own all his either on kindle, hard back or paper back.worth every penny
on 9 July 2017
Great series of books. Very glad I purchased
on 10 July 2017
Granddaughter and her Dad loves it
on 9 December 2012
Like most Pratchett books, to my mind truckers is mostly about people and human nature. The fantasy is fun and makes for easy reading, but it's the authors insights in to what makes us tick that I always find so enjoyable.
on 19 September 2004
Terry Pratchett's Truckers, from the Bromeliad trilogy, is the story of a relatively small and unheard-of species, nomes, who live in parallel with today's humans. The majority of nomes resided in what was known as the store, which was in fact a large department store; there were different departments in the store, and each department had a tightly-knit factions of nomes (for instance, the Haberdasheri) who, for the most part, remained in their own departments. Arnold Bros (est. 1905), the founder of the store, was idolized by the nomes who resided in the store; to them, he was the akin to our God.
Then there was another, smaller group of nomes, led by Masklin, who lived in the outdoors; the two groups crossed paths when Masklin decided that he disliked the cold winters, the wild hunting and the general difficulty to survive in the harsh conditions - so they hitched a lift on a truck, which, by complete coincidence, was destined for this store. This store was, apparently, the perfect dwelling; there was food at every turn, and everything a nome could possibly want was easily found. It was discovered that the Store was to be destroyed within a few weeks - and Masklin's seemingly impossible task was to evacuate every single nome from the doomed Store.
Although this is a book aimed primarily at children, it is nothing less than enjoyable for anyone of any age-group. It is fascinating to look down on a completely separate species from a human perspective, and to see them fascinated by ours; the few nomes with the privilege of being able to read saw signs in the department as "messages" from Arnold Bros (est. 1905). The species is thoroughly constructed and cross-referenced to such an extent that you might even believe that nomes actually exist!
Pratchett provides vivid descriptions of both the characters themselves and the surroundings throughout - but the best thing is that these descriptions are written from the point of view of a nome. This makes you feel au fait with the characters and their starkly different observations.
The genre of the book is fantasy, and has many comic elements to it, featuring hilarious power-struggles, heated arguments, and a wonderfully ironic generation gap adding to the humour of the book. It is well worth a read, regardless of the type of book which you prefer.
on 9 April 2015
I received a free copy of Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Truckers was such a fun read. It's full of humour and adventure and sets the imagination on fire. I know it's a children's book but I completely forgot that fact while reading as it's so well written and fun for all ages.

The way the author has approached everyday objects, giving them a whole new outlook or meaning when seen from the Nomes point of view, was refreshing to read. I think what appealed to me the most was the style of the humour. It's subtle and innocent and it sneaks up on you. The characters themselves are being funny without being aware of it, if that makes sense, and that makes it all the more humorous.

"How many books are there?" said Masklin.
"Hundreds! Thousands!"
"Do you know what they're all about?"
Gurder looked at him blankly. "Do you know what you're saying?" he said.
"No. But I want to find out."
"They're about everything! You'd never believe it! They're full of words even I don't understand!"
"Can you find a book which tells you how to understand words you don't understand?" said Masklin.
Gurder hesitated. "It's an intriguing thought," he said.

My favourite part has to be the books, so many books and so much wisdom to be found inside. The way they read them and assume everything they read to be true really tickled my sense of humour. We pick up books and we know what's fiction and what's true, but how different would the world seem if we didn't know and we were to experience it through all kinds of books assuming everything we read was fact.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2016
This is the first book of the Nome trilogy &, in my opinion, the best. It is generally seen as a children's book but there is plenty in it for adults.

The idea that there is a little race of people living alongside us, mainly without our knowledge, is not a new one. The stories of fairies & leprachauns have abounded for centuries & there have been more modern books encompassing "little people" such as "Gulliver's Travels" & "The Borrowers".

This story primarily centres around "The Store" where Nomes live under floorboards. There are various clans with in the store, such as the Stationari, who live beneath the various departments in the store. I have to say that I think this is a wonderful concept. I love the way the families take things (including electricity) & adapt them for their own world. The descriptions of "The Store" are wonderful. However the descriptions of them driving a lorry later in the book are just fantastic.

The book is well written with well defined characters & a well constructed storyline. It is amusing & entertaining. The concept of the Nomes & how they use our items is very clever as well as amusing. I wouldn't say that this is a book to get your teeth into - more light entertainment. Ideal for a down moment where you need a "pick me up". The following 2 books are worth reading to follow through the whole concept of exactly who the Nomes are though they are not quite as amusing as this one.
This is a marvellous tale about a race of little people inhabiting the world of Humans. With a reluctant hero, and an unexpected and dangerous pilgrimage - put quite simply IT'S BRILLIANT!

We’re talking little people alright, but not ordinary Garden Gnomes with a 'G'. These Nomes live in the depths of a department store.

They have their own groups like The Ironmongri, Del Icatessen and the Millineri. There is an all presiding wise old Nome called The Abbot, leader of the Stationeri. Their unique quirks are peculiar to them and it’s very clever and ever so funny!

Each group takes what the Nomes need from the store when the humans are not around and live quite happily within its dry, safe walls. But more importantly – they thrive.

They live by Nomish ‘commandments’. The Word according to all Nomes starts:

In the beginning…
-There was the site.
-And Arnold Bros (est.1905) moved upon the face of the site and saw that it had potential.
-For it was in the high street.
-Yea, it was also handy for the buses…

For many years, life at Arnold Bros has been grand. Yet out of the blue, the insiders come face to face with other Nomes, who have journeyed to the store from the outside, by hitchhiking aboard a lorry. The store Nomes have heard rumours of the outside and yet none had seen it and therefore do not believe it exists.

But despite their oddities and beliefs, their world will soon be turned upside down by something outside their control. All Nomes will be called upon to find a way to stop their interdepartmental bickering and find a solution before their world comes to an end.

With help from the primitive outsiders, including our reluctant hero, Masklin, and the mysterious all knowing ‘thing’ (that no one understands), the little folk find themselves organising a dangerous pilgrimage outside, whilst still acknowledging the most stupid Nome hierarchy.

But where will they go? More importantly, how will they get there? When there are thousands of beings just four inches tall to save, any solution has to be a pretty BIG one.

It’s a brilliant, frolicking, all-encompassing, feel-good book that can be enjoyed by those young and old. You can’t fail to smile while reading. It will certainly be a firm favourite of mine for years to come.

(My thanks to the publisher for providing a review copy via Netgalley for review.)
on 17 March 2003
Another race also inhabits this Earth, a race four inches tall that lives and moves very quickly, and they are called "nomes." Masklin, the leader of a dwindling band of nomes, decides that a better life must be found, so they stowaway aboard a truck, and find themselves taken to a huge department store. This department store, Arnold Bros. (est. 1905), is populated by thousands of nomes, something the humans above them never suspect. To Masklin and his band this place looks like heaven, but what is the meaning of the signs that read, "Final Sale: Everything Must Go?"
This book is a laugh-riot. Terry Pratchett succeeds is making the Nomes so different, and yet so human. This book is the first of a trilogy; with the other two entitled Diggers and Wings.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse