on 24 November 2003
This is the Thirtieth(!) book in Terry Pratchett's series on the Discworld--a flat world, supported on the backs of four massive elephants riding on the back of a planet-sized turtle, anything hilarious can happen here, and eventually does.
Young Tiffany Aching has lived her young life in the Chalk, where raising sheep is the normal form of living. But, when creatures out of fairy tales begin to appear, she realizes that something is very wrong. A group of tiny blue men, with bright red hair and kilts (the Nac Mac Feegle, the Wee Free Men) begin to take an interest in her, and Tiffany quickly learns that her very world is under attack by the Queen of the Elves. The Wee Free Men think that she is a witch, like her grandmother, and just maybe she will be one day, but she's not now. But, armed with her native intellect, her determination, and a wealth of memories of how her grandmother did things, Tiffany might just be enough.
This is another *great* Terry Pratchett book! I have been a fan of this author for a long time, and this book does not let you down. As is often the case in Discworld books, a couple of "regulars" put in an appearance (Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg), but the show is definitely stolen by the Nac Mac Feegle - they are great! (Rob Anybody, Not-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock, he he!) But, even beyond that, the story is enthralling and the characters are quite interesting. If you are a fan of humorous fantasy, then you must read this novel by the king of them all, Terry Pratchett!
on 19 July 2017
The Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" is the 30th Discworld Novel and the first book in the Tiffany Aching Series.
In this paperback edition, the illustrations are by Laura Ellen Anderson, while the 2003 version is by Paul Kidby.

After watching "Terry Pratchett: Back in Black" (2017) film about the author, I decided I wanted to read his work.
I had never read this particular kind of literature and shame on me!

Terry Pratchett vocabulary is amazing, he plays with words, makes them musical.
Reading out loud this book was so easy and fun. Sometimes I had to stop 'cause I kept laughing.
The dialect of the Nac Mac Feegle is hilarious and you'll find yourself mimicking their way of cursing and threatening.
I did.
"Crivens! I kicked meself in ma ain heid!".
"We've got a cheap lawyer an' we're not afraid to use him!"

If you have children, read this story with them. Play with them, and fight the Queen with them.

I was searching a book with a strong girl with no frills that could be an example for our lil'woman and I'm so happy I discovered Tiffany Aching.
Tiffany has wit, resilience, humor, and likes books. She loves her grandma and that's an important bond that will help her during the entire book.

The Wee Free Men is followed by a second book "A hat full of Sky"(2004), a third "Wintersmith" (2006), a fourth "I Shall Wear Midnight" (2010) and a 5th and final book "The Shepherd's Crown".
Plenty to read and enjoy.

On a side note: The Jim Henson Company (the muppets, sesame streets, furchester hotel) has confirmed that there's a film in development. Be prepared!
I bought a paperback version of this book for my husband in 2003, because we are both big fans of the Discworld series. I think one of the things that makes the Discworld novels so popular is the ability that Pratchett had to continually refresh and renew the series by adding new characters, stories and plot lines. This book marks the beginning of the Tiffany Aching 4 book collection, which is almost like a mini-series within the full Discworld compilation. In this book we meet Tiffany for the first time as a 9 year old child. In true Discworld style though, she has a particular skill set, and this helps to develop a delightful Discworld adventure which introduces the Nac Mac Feegles. This really is a highly entertaining novel, with a lot of great action. Far from being a damsel in distress, Tiffany is a very interesting, resourceful, and determined character, and the story overall is well paced and very enjoyable.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 November 2008
... I'm loving the illustrated version. Even though I keep being told that it's a children's book, yet I have noticed that these people who keep telling me that it's for children not adults are trying to borrow it!

As a Terry Pratchett/Discworld fan I found that I fell for the Nac Mac Feegle and young Tiffany Aching. When I saw there was going to be an illustrated version I ordered it immediately, had the order cancelled by Amazon due to unexpected delay, then reordered it again. I waited so long for it that I was worried when it was finally sent. However I was not let down, it's been beautifully done.

I like one of the other reviewers have now ordered my second copy due to the grubby hands of those who think it is for children only.
on 3 April 2017
Always fun reading Mr P. He will be sadly missed
on 5 March 2017
Interesting, but I still don't know whether I like Terry Pratchett's form of writing. Very imaginative but his writing seems to 'bitty' for me. ie the sentences are too short so the writing doesn't seem to flow, its a bit too staccato for my liking.
on 19 July 2017
Terry Pratchett at his best. Such a great story, and great fun!
Feegles are amuzing
on 12 April 2017
thankyou
on 9 October 2015
One of my favourite authors, have all his books in paper or hardback and decided to add my favourites to my digital library