Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2004
I'd been waiting so long to read the book, and it was well worth the wait. I read it in about 4hrs, n i cant wait for the last one in the series. The story starts with Sephy and her newborn baby Callie Rose, the book shows the struggle Sephy has to go through to do the best for her baby. It also shows what happens to Jude as he attempts to make Sephy pay for what she has done, along with every Cross he meets! The book is both like and unlike "Noughts and Crosses" in that it is set in "diary" form, but instead of it being from just two peoples points of view it is from Sephy's, Jude's, Minerva's, Meggie's(Callum's Mother) and Jasmine's(Sephy's mother). This adds an interesting twist to the story. It is a heart renching story of love, revenge, hatred and disloyalty that keeps you hooked and wanting more. The end is a suprise that I didn't even think of, like "Noughts and Crosses" this book left on a cliffhanger and a tear jerker of an ending making me cry. This is better even than "Noughts and Crosses" which i didnt think was possible! This is a "must read" for all you bookworms out there, and for all those who enjoyed Noughts and Crosses.
on 7 May 2017
As follow up books go, this did not disappoint. The journey of torture, pain and plotting continued and did not let the readers down. A powerful message too was being sent out.
on 19 January 2017
Great book she's find it again well done malorie Blackman. Check mate here I come. Can't even wait to see what's next in this thrilling story.
on 9 April 2017
Excellent storyline and amazing descriptions and heart breaking sad families who form together as one. I loved everything about it.
on 17 July 2013
There is certainly a need for literature written from a black perspective. For many years, the nearest our local secondary school got to such a book was Gene Kemp's 'Gowie Corby Plays Chicken' - spoilt in recent editions by showing that Rosie is black on the cover, when it should come as a surprise to the white-centric readers at the end. Unfortunately, however, the 'Noughts and Crosses' series lays it on with a trowel, to the detriment of the characterisation and plot. This is the second of the series that I've read - looking for a new author to recommend for my young bookwork relatives - but I won't be either reading any more or recommending this one.
on 9 April 2016
Delivered next day but quality was poor given it was rated as "used - very good". Cover was very damaged.
on 14 December 2014
I knew shortly after reading Noughts and Crosses that I was going to devour Knife Edge as soon as I could. I certainly did devour it. I couldn’t put it down. Knife Edge is an incredibly moving, emotional and hard book to read. I’ve gave 5 stars to both books in the series so far, I wonder if Malorie Blackman can keep it up… I’m sure she can. Her writing is incredible!

Knife Edge follows several characters but the main focus is on Sephy and Jude. I don’t want to say too much about the plot as I’m aware that some people have only read the first book. I know how annoying it is to be spoiled!

Sephy is an amazing character. Even though my life is nothing like hers, I immediately felt attached to her. Malorie’s writing really made me connect with her and feel empathy for her situation. I think Jude is one of those characters that I love to hate. I couldn’t believe how strongly I felt about him. There are some fantastic minor characters which really build the story.

Knife Edge is a lot darker than Noughts and Crosses, if that’s even possible. It’s intense throughout. I couldn’t believe the ending. I’m fighting myself not to buy the next book, but I’m probably going to fail. I need it in my life! I need to know what’s going to happen next.

So far, everything that I’ve read by Malorie Blackman has impressed me. I am just gutted that I hadn’t discovered her work before now, but I’m so glad I have discovered her now. I can’t wait to continue with her books!
The second instalment in this series allows for character development in those who played more of a minor role in Noughts and Crosses, and delves into the pasts of many characters so the reader really begins to know these people, and to perhaps better understand some of their actions. The issues covered in this book are very intense, and the pace is just right to keep the reader hooked and move the story along while also allowing for enough detail and dialogue. Malorie Blackman definitely knows how to write some seriously good books, and she leaves them on fantastic cliff-hangers – I’m just glad I had the next book in the series to hand every time I finished one!

Check out my full review of the series here:
[...]
on 16 January 2014
I enjoyed this series immensely from the start of book one to the end of book four. I was engrossed as the story of Callum & Sephy began, their relationship, their families and the world they lived in was explored.

Malorie Blackman is one of the best YA authors I have read in quite some time, each chapter is shown from the point of view of the different characters and they are written so well you get to know the character on a different level, their thoughts and feelings, great to read.

There were a few moments in all of the books which I did not particularly enjoy, I did not like Sephy at all in book one but as the series progressed I grew to like her, you see her growing up, changing, learning to love herself. The female characters were all strong, independent, well written characters, easy to identify with and respect.

One of the best YA series I have read.

Highly recommended.
on 10 February 2004
Like many others I was reluctant to read this as I didn't want to ruin the original, but I had to. The minute I picked it up I was engrossed. Like noughts and crosses Ms. Blakman's engaging and exciting plot kept me reading, imagine my surprise when the book ended but didn't seem to be finished! This is a fantastic sequal, as exciting as the first and I know I am desperate for the third. It is only really half a book, ending on such a cliffhanger, but I think I'll forgive Ms. Blackman, as long as the final book comes out soon! If you haven't read noughts and crosses, read it now, if you have, read knife edge!